• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Need help with a 1953 Les Paul Restore Need Pics of side nut

Big D Guitars

I am restoring a 1953 les paul and its was broken in a drunken rage. The neck was cracked like nothing I have seen, and it was converted with a new bridge in the 60s sometime. Owner wanted it like it was before it was broken so I have been working at it.

I need to see a close up pic of the neck angle and the nut. From the side and top. it looks like this might have a weird angled nut.

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a ton!!

jrgtr42

I am restoring a 1953 les paul and its was broken in a drunken rage. The neck was cracked like nothing I have seen, and it was converted with a new bridge in the 60s sometime. Owner wanted it like it was before it was broken so I have been working at it.

I need to see a close up pic of the neck angle and the nut. From the side and top. it looks like this might have a weird angled nut.

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a ton!!

Are you repairing the original wood? Yikes, that's a job.
I seem to remember an article in one or another magazine ages ago about a Pete Townsend LP Deluxe that went headfirst out a window.
Much later they went to restore it and baseically rebuilt the neck with the original headstock and a piece on the treble side, maybe from 7th fret to the heel, with new wood otherwise.
As to the request, I don't have pictures, but FWIU, nuts would have been perpendicular to the neck in all cases out of the factory. Being handmade at the time, there may be a degree or so of variation, but if it's significantly angled, it's not an original.