• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Push / Pull Phase Switch with 2-Wire Pickups?

yeltneb

Hey!

My guitar has 2-wire pickups with 50's wiring. Is it possible to install a push / pull pot for phase switching with this setup?

All the info I can find seems to be based on 4 wire so I wanted to be totally sure before I go further down the rabbit hole.

Cheers!

Andrew

Don

You can connect the lead and shield to a switch as long as the shield is covered so it doesn't contact any other items in the guitar, but when the pickup's phase is reversed it'll make a lot of noise if you touch the pickup's poles, mounting screws or cover. This is not recommended but can be used to see if you like having an OOP switch.

If you don't want to replace the pickup you can take it apart and replace the lead with three leads- one for the start of the winding, one for the end of the winding and one for the ground. It's not as difficult to do as it seems.

Another option is to flip the magnet in one of the pickups so the pickups are always out of phase with each other. There will be a spot on the volume controls where the out of phase sound will come and go and it'll sound almost like the pickups are wired normally. That's about the neck pickup on 8 and bridge pickup on 10 on my Hamer Sunburst (which was wired out of phase at the factory). Every set of pickups and pots requires different settings.

Last edited:

yeltneb

You can connect the lead and shield to a switch as long as the shield is covered so it doesn't contact any other items in the guitar, but when the pickup's phase is reversed it'll make a lot of noise if you touch the pickup's poles, mounting screws or cover. This is not recommended but can be used to see if you like having an OOP switch.

If you don't want to replace the pickup you can take it apart and replace the lead with three leads- on for the start of the winding, one for the end of the winding and one for the ground. It's not a difficult to do as it seems.

Another option is to flip the magnet in one of the pickups so the pickups are always out of phase with each other. There will be a spot on the volume controls where the out of phase sound will come and go and it'll sound almost like the pickups are wired normally. That's about the neck pickup on 8 and bridge pickup on 10 on my Hamer Sunburst (which was wired out of phase at the factory). Every set of pickups and pots requires different settings.

This is a super helpful reply, thank you Don