• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Custom v's R8/9 neck comparison.

Jazzkat

Hi guys, apologies if this has been asked and answered before, I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

I have a 2017 LPC and an ES175 that is a few years older than that. The necks are amazingly similar and I love the fact that I don't even have to think about the difference when I swap from one to the other.

I am thinking of adding another LP to the household but I can't try before I buy (covid etc) so I might have to buy unseen/heard, something I've never done before.

So my question is which neck (R8, R9 etc) would be nearest to my LPC and 175 in size and shape?

I may still end up waiting 'til all this lockdown stuff is over and shops reopen (providing I'm not dead by then:dang) to try one in my own hand even if it means a but of a road trip. I know I can buy online, try and return if I don't like it but I'd rather try to get it right first time. You all know how GAS is:laugh2:

Tim Plains

There's no real straight answer. I'd say the R9 neck but a lot of R8s from the past few years have R9 necks. Best bet is to measure your neck thickness and then look at some vendors, like Mark's Guitar Loft, who lists thicknesses.

Jazzkat

Hi, Thanks for that. I know there is a lot of variation but at least you've given me something of a direction.
Cheers.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
It kind of depends on what model LPC and ES-175 you have... If you know what I mean... At any rate, coming from a guy who has most of the Gibson neck profiles covered, from '54 to '61, I think you will find the '59 profile to be very comfortable... I don't really have a preference, but if I did, it would probably be the '59... It's not a baseball bat (which I happen to like), and it's not 60's slim taper, (which I also like :##)...

I know I'm not helping much... :2cool

I'd say, wait until you can play one... What's the rush?.. :salude

Jazzkat

Of course you are right, no rush but you know how gas is.

It does sound like a 59 neck is the way to go. I read somewhere the neck described as a c shape.
I don't mind a thick neck, I prefer that to skinny necks and I've played everything from Fender 50's boat necks to Ibanez wizard.
The Cs on the two guitars I have feels just right, I don't have to think about them. I used to swap between various fenders and a 50s Les Paul neck and I found the differences took a bit of thinking about at first especially going to the 50's Les Paul, that felt huge after playing on skinny necks.
Thanks for the input :)

renderit

I purchased a ton of LP's in the 2013,14 and 15 time frame.

In those years they more closely followed a formula (but NOT always):

54' had HUGE Necks

55' V'd it slightly

56 slightly smaller than 54 and rounder but not V'd

57 slightly smaller yet but still large by todays standards

58 close but larger than the 59 of those years and the 60's tended towards the slim front to back but wide side to side.

Each of mine is very distinct.

Somewhere in 15, 16 they started offering more with the 'perfect 59' style in other years as it was the most popular.

But all of mine offer a widely different feel (which fortunately I like).

Today it is easier (if you like the 59 style) to find what you want in the other 'year' types.

Harder if you like what I have...

So if you keep your trials in the 2016 on units I think your search will be easier.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
I bought a 2018 Historic 3PU LPC online, and was happily surprised to find that it sported a super-comfy BEEFY neck, bigger than ANY Historic LP Burst I've played, and much like my '58 Burst in feel. Quite surprising, as this is nothing like the original Customs. Like many here, I like all kinds of necks, so it really didn't matter :hee. I just thought it was cool that the Custom Shop can still make a monster neck on occasion...

renderit

I bought a 2018 Historic 3PU LPC online, and was happily surprised to find that it sported a super-comfy BEEFY neck, bigger than ANY Historic LP Burst I've played, and much like my '58 Burst in feel. Quite surprising, as this is nothing like the original Customs. Like many here, I like all kinds of necks, so it really didn't matter :hee. I just thought it was cool that the Custom Shop can still make a monster neck on occasion...

It is amazing when you get a 'log'!

My first '54 is the biggest neck I ever held.

Just HUGE!

The next one I bought (a Historic Select version) was large but no where near the first.

Still have them both.

35915768310_004d8421c3_3k.jpg

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Mine are all over the map, and I don't even notice a difference anymore... :peace2

46268706804_5ab58f6948_b.jpg