• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

90s Les Paul Standards - New to forum

cherryburst96

Hi, new to the forum, love Les Pauls and Gibsons in general! Here is my 1996 Standard, sweet player, weighing in at 9.4 pounds. Customized with early Burstbuckers and 500k pots. Nashville bridge soon to be swapped for an ABR-1, stay tuned! Let's see your 90's Standards!!
Greetings from Oz.

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 20
  • dtjhjk.jpg
    dtjhjk.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 19

Triplet

Welcome. Taking the Nashville off and putting on an ABR isn't going to do anything for you except aesthetics. You'll need to plug and put posts if you want any real tone difference (research 'MapleFlame Mod' thread).

cherryburst96

Welcome. Taking the Nashville off and putting on an ABR isn't going to do anything for you except aesthetics. You'll need to plug and put posts if you want any real tone difference (research 'MapleFlame Mod' thread).

yeah that's the plan, can't stand them bloody post bushings!

Triplet

Great! I've done many conversions. A worthwhile project.

cherryburst96

Great! I've done many conversions. A worthwhile project.
Awesome, just a couple questions. What size do you reccomend that I cut the maple plugs? Do you usually notch the saddles or just make an indent with a hammer The way Gibson do it? Any info would be great, cheers!

Triplet

Awesome, just a couple questions. What size do you reccomend that I cut the maple plugs? Do you usually notch the saddles or just make an indent with a hammer The way Gibson do it? Any info would be great, cheers!

I cant remember for sure what size I used. I did like 4/5 in one year and haven't done another since. I can go look and see what size plugs I have still laying around. I think I ended up adding just a smidgen more width to the Nashville hole to match with the plug. Anyway, the important part is to drill practice holes somewhere and checking to make sure the plugs are a snug fit. Also ensure a true vertical drilling platform. Not something you want to free hand.

For notches, fortunately, I have nut files of all sorts so I don't have to guess. It doesn't take much to keep the string in-place. Use fine sandpaper to ensure no burrs. You might go through a couple sets of strings before you realize there's a rough edge to a notch (guilty).

The Nashville and ABR holes don't always align perfectly. Either the original install was off a little or your new pilot holes can be off. I think I had to tap a post or two slightly way or another to get the new ABR to sit on the thumb wheels evenly. Not noticeable to the human eye. At least not mine...

cherryburst96

I cant remember for sure what size I used. I did like 4/5 in one year and haven't done another since. I can go look and see what size plugs I have still laying around. I think I ended up adding just a smidgen more width to the Nashville hole to match with the plug. Anyway, the important part is to drill practice holes somewhere and checking to make sure the plugs are a snug fit. Also ensure a true vertical drilling platform. Not something you want to free hand.

For notches, fortunately, I have nut files of all sorts so I don't have to guess. It doesn't take much to keep the string in-place. Use fine sandpaper to ensure no burrs. You might go through a couple sets of strings before you realize there's a rough edge to a notch (guilty).

The Nashville and ABR holes don't always align perfectly. Either the original install was off a little or your new pilot holes can be off. I think I had to tap a post or two slightly way or another to get the new ABR to sit on the thumb wheels evenly. Not noticeable to the human eye. At least not mine...

awesome, cheers for all the info!