• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

60th Anniversary Gibson Les Paul Standard '59

Louisguitar

Hi all,

sorry because I had already posted this topic, but unfortunately the screen remains black, empty and I don't know why.
So I write you again.

I own a beautiful 50th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul Standard Version 1 gold COA in darkburst color, the version 1 is practically a '59 with a '60 serial number.
The guitar sound good and the top is amazing, but I wanted always replace it for a True Historic or a CC for the frantic search for the Holy Grail.
Now there is the 60th anniversary...
Do you think I would make an improvement by replacing my guitar with one of them?
Probably the 60th is te most convenient solution, but is it good like TH or CC?
I know that every guitar is "one of a kind"and I should personally play them one by one, but this is impossible and I would like advice from you who are much more experienced than I am.

Thanks

Flogger

All Historic bursts have the TH spec since around 2017, IIRC.

El Gringo

I would keep your 60th anniversary guitar as it has all the True Historic spec which have been carried over in addition to the beauty of the 60th anniversary and the limited edition backplate and certificate . Seriously you have a keeper there that should be appreciated in addition to rocking out on here with her unpotted Custombuckers and paper in oil caps .

Tim Plains

The new guitar will have "better" more vintage accurate specs and I find that they generally sound different, I think it's all due to the truss rod sheath, but different doesn't always mean better sounding. If you're spec obsessed then definitely go for it, otherwise try and get to hands on one to see if you notice a difference.

I would keep your 60th anniversary guitar
He wrote 50th anniversary.

Louisguitar

Yes, I wrote 50th anniversary.

Ok, I’ll play them to go with the best for me.

Thanks

Louisguitar

Knowing what I know now , keep the old one . And get a new one .
Why do you say this?
I know that technically , the current production is expected to be higher than ten years ago, after the CC and TH experience. Of course the guitar is not made only of mathematical concepts, but is made of wood and therefore of emotions and randomness. For this reason, even a "bad" year’s guitar can be fantastic.
However the 60th should be better than the 50th.
I can’t own both now, but maybe it would be better to have two 60th than one 60th and one 50th.

Flogger

I wouldn't sweat it. In early 1981 I saw the most beautiful two piece flametop Heritage 80 I ever laid eyes on. Compared to the regular Les Pauls of the time it was a revelation: flametop, small headstock, mahogany neck, a dished top, Shaw PAF reissues.

But it was wrong on so many levels, nickel hardware with a chrome Nashville, three piece neck, 300k pots, wrong cutaway shape, anemic dish compared to a Historic.

But I don't care,that's my Les Paul. Swapped out the harness, and I still love playing it, or just admiring it on the stand after nearly 40 years.

Last edited:

John550

Why do you say this?
I know that technically , the current production is expected to be higher than ten years ago, after the CC and TH experience. Of course the guitar is not made only of mathematical concepts, but is made of wood and therefore of emotions and randomness. For this reason, even a "bad" year’s guitar can be fantastic.
I can’t own both now, but maybe it would be better to have two 60th than one 60th and one 50th.

Just based on selling a guitar you like, and looking for one like it later .

pdfiddler

Why do you say this?

He means not greener on the other side of the fence. The 50th is a keeper. Wishing don't make it so!

cvriz

Love my 60th r9. Great neck profile wth less shoulder. Seem like a thinner finish as in no gumming while playing it. More vibrant than my other lps including a 2013 r9. BUT my r5 still sounds better. Vintage correct doesn't always equate to better sounding. My r5 or my r7 sound thicker which gives me a more syrupy lead tone.The new r9 is great but different. We could talk forever about this but typing it sucks,lol.