• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Debating on jumping on a used Les Paul

giselegadot3

Hi guys! I needed some advice.
Found a used 2017 Gibson Les Paul studio for $750. I loved the way it played and sounded and liked the coil tap feature. BUT, the biggest issue is that the neck pickup volume is finicky. Basically when the volume is set at zero, there is still sound coming from the neck pickup. The guitar center rep said it’s a common problem with Gibson’s and it’s an inherent defect, so they wouldn’t reduce the price further. Has anyone had a les Paul with this issue? Is it still a good deal and worth trying to fix? I’m also concerned because I know Gibson had a lot of QC issues from the 2017 year and this guitar already has a defect. $750 is still a lot of money for me, but I’ve always wanted a Gibson Les Paul and I don’t know if I would find one at this price or cheaper again. I know there’s used guitars Reverb but I like getting to play and try it in the store.10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 hotmail.com

Last edited:

Keefoman

Hi guys! I needed some advice.
Found a used 2017 Gibson Les Paul studio for $750. I loved the way it played and sounded and liked the coil tap feature. BUT, the biggest issue is that the neck pickup volume is finicky. Basically when the volume is set at zero, there is still sound coming from the neck pickup. The guitar center rep said it’s a common problem with Gibson’s and it’s an inherent defect, so they wouldn’t reduce the price further. Has anyone had a les Paul with this issue? Is it still a good deal and worth trying to fix? I’m also concerned because I know Gibson had a lot of QC issues from the 2017 year and this guitar already has a defect. $750 is still a lot of money for me, but I’ve always wanted a Gibson Les Paul and I don’t know if I would find one at this price or cheaper again. I know there’s used guitars Reverb but I like getting to play and try it in the store.

It's not a common problem... An easy fix though. Either a dodgy solder point or pot. Worst case, you'll need a new pot. Best case, you'll get away with spraying some contact cleaner into the pot.

Edit: Sorry, come to think about it, the 2017 probably has printcard electronics... Makes it a little trickier, but still not difficult to fix for someone who knows what they're doing. I'm not sure I would have trusted the GC guy you refer to....

Last edited: