• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

P90s, OX4 vs. ThroBak or Lollars

Birdseye

Anybody ever make any direct comparisons? I have Lollars in one LP, ThroBaks in another, curious about the OX4s now as they sound great in the few demos I have seen. They seem to be considered some of the best humbuckers, so I am wondering if their P90s are as great. I like clear single coil tones without any mud or too much low end, just nice and bright and full.

Last edited:

renderit

P90's and humbuckers?

Different animal.

Now the dual coil P90's I have from B&G might blur the line a bit and I do like them.

Full rich and clean but able to get in your face.

If you are looking for a VERY full piano like tone from humbuckers, Lollar Imperials are the top of the heap. I have them in several Collings.

I prefer slightly dirtier myself, but if you love pure clean tone get some Lollar's Imperials.

ourmaninthenorth

Strictly commenting on the P90's side of things, I have a set of Tyson 57's in this guitar. They are fantastic to my cloth likes...

dnzoiG9.jpg

For info only..not spam.

https://tysontone.com/product-category/p90-pickups/

:salude

Birdseye

Sorry for the confusion. I’m asking only about P90s. Edited my OP to clarify. Thanks for the response!

P90's and humbuckers?

Different animal.

Now the dual coil P90's I have from B&G might blur the line a bit and I do like them.

Full rich and clean but able to get in your face.

If you are looking for a VERY full piano like tone from humbuckers, Lollar Imperials are the top of the heap. I have them in several Collings.

I prefer slightly dirtier myself, but if you love pure clean tone get some Lollar's Imperials.

duaneflowers

My favorite P90s are made by Rewind with vintage wire and vintage mags... they were a custom set though so they are a bit off the beaten path. My favorite production P90s are Wizz... followed by Wolftone. I also have Lollars, Fralins, Gibsons, and Bare Knuckles currently installed and would be hard pressed to opt between them as they are all really nice. For whatever reason the P90 recipe seems a much more difficult one to mess up then humbuckers, so I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. My preference is early 50s P90s (as opposed to late 50s ones) so any that emulate those are on the right track IMHO. :salude

Texas Blues

I have Lollar p90's in some guitars.

I also have stock Gibson p90's in others.

Jason makes a good pickup.

But.

Straight in to the amp no chaser.

I can't tell the difference.