• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Where can i get 4-ply Pickguard Sheet like they used for 70's Flying V's please ?

Dave.W

Hi.

I'm Dave and i'm from Wales in the UK.

I'm a big fan of Gibson Flying V's, particularly the '75 to '79 versions. I own a white '79 (one of the last ones with the older shape headstock before they kinda' 'flattened' the tip off a bit) and it's a fantastic guitar, one of my favourites and it plays like a dream and sounds beautiful too!

Anyway, i'm just getting into luthiery and i want to build a replica of a '79 and also a '58 Korina which, i think (but could be wrong!) uses the same pickguard material (4-ply and 2mm thick ?).
I just got hold of some lovely Korina/Limba that's a lovely even light shade with no dark bits and it's really nice and resonant.

I'm having real trouble tracking the correct pickguard material. A few places sell ready cut '58 pickguards but as i will be doing a '79 V at some point the correct shape & material Truss Rod Covers are almost impossible to find and if i can find the right plastic in sheets i'd rather cut my own anyway.

Does anyone know where i can source the 4-ply sheets in the correct thickness and colour please ?
Someone told me that it's actually 'parchment/black/parchment/black' and not actually 'white/black/white/black'. Is that correct ?

If anyone can point me in the right direction i'd be extremely grateful.

The final ask i have is regarding the fret marker dots for the face of a '79 V. I was horrified to notice one day a while back that one of mine isn't there any more (the 19th fret). I was amazed just how thin they are. Can i get a replacement anywhere anf if i can what's the best way to glue it in place ?

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramble and i look forward to hearing from anyone who can help!

Regards,
Davw