• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

All original 1956 Les Paul tone.

goldtop0

Thanks Dan........so you ponder why humbuckers are favoured more than P90s.........well we all know why that is........but my R6 does it for me every time especially with the neck pup:2cool

Don

Thanks Dan........so you ponder why humbuckers are favoured more than P90s.........well we all know why that is........but my R6 does it for me every time especially with the neck pup:2cool

I was always under the impression that P90s were favored over humbuckers way back when, but that might've just been with guys who couldn't afford a Les Paul with humbuckers.

goldtop0

I was always under the impression that P90s were favored over humbuckers way back when, but that might've just been with guys who couldn't afford a Les Paul with humbuckers.

Those who have the low down on the pricing of the LP's in the '50s/60s can chip in here but historically(to me anyway) it seems that it was what was available at the time that determined the de rigueur guitar of the day......... a chronological timimg thing.
We know that Mike Bloomfield sought out a humbucker LP but the British boys used and bought whatever they could as there wasn't a lot available in that country at the time.........and I'm pretty sure that EC would have used a GT with P90s if he'd seen one as Freddie King was using one.
I much prefer the P90 sound in the neck as I've said........to me it's a clearer crisper sound than the humbucker........so I guess I should get a P90/humbucker hybrid at some stage.