• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R9 pickup suggestions what are you using ?

CW59

Hello.. what is the loudest fattest hottest pickups
for a r9 but still maintains vintage character ? Thanks

Hamerfan

If you dont want to give an eye and a kidney for a set and want to look into run of the mill pickups, look into Seymour Duncan WHL pickups. Little hint: there were a Limited CS series before the full production. Sometimes you find them on fleabay.

shred

Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo... Hot but with a really pleasing mid range snarl... Sounds great straight into an amp (with a Tube Screamer for a lead boost.)

tjdjr1

I am happy with the mojotone 59 clone humbuckers, they have an alnico iv magnet. I have them in 2 lp's and fit the bill for me. They also have a 59 hot clone set as well I haven't tried them yet.

duaneflowers

If you can find a set of Old Wire Wizzes, if you are looking for original PAF tone, looks and performance those are the closest I have found. After that would be Over The Pond Guy (OTPG) followed by the Wizz Tribute (Sig) sets. Those account for the pups in 90% of my Reissues/CCs/Sigs. The other 10% is made of Rewind, Stephens Design, Jim Rolph... I have multiple sets of all of these. Other sets I have that have found a home in one of my Reissues are Tom Holmes, Ron Ellis, Mojo Beastbuckers, Chris Klein and David Allen. I have dozens of others installed in my lower end Gibsons, MIJs and assorted Epis, but those are the ones that made their way to the top shelf. :salude

El Gringo

Today is a pretty momentous day for yours truly as I will be ordering after work ThroBak MXV- SLE-101 Plus for my 2014 R9 and will be removing my Custombuckers from the guitar which is something I thought I would never do ,but as the ThroBak pickups are so good I can't resist !