• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul tone, Strat tone - best examples?

Gadsden

Any of us who have multiple guitars have faced the question from people with no knowledge of the instrument - “Why do you need so many guitars?”

Trying to explain the tonal differences can be difficult to say the least, so I have figured it is easier to go through songs they are familiar with and point out which one had a typical or textbook sound. The Les Paul and the Strat are easiest to differentiate, and probably the most popular in rock n roll, so I found that to be the best place to start.

This morning I caught “Sultans of Swing” by Dire Straits on the radio, and I was thinking how sweet that Strat tone is.
(I know, Pensa, but work with me here.)
I could tell anyone to listen to that song, and they should be able to put together an idea of what a Fender Stratocaster is famous for.

So, for a Les Paul, I dunno....
Pretty much anything by Guns & Roses?
“Sweet Child O Mine?”

Getting to the point, I was curious what songs you folks in the forum might recommend to someone new to guitars. What songs would you recommend for someone, to hear what you think is the textbook sound of a Strat and a Les Paul?

Maybe even in the same song?

Last edited:

Triburst

Get them a copy of "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" by Derek & the Dominoes. Nearly the whole album is about Clapton's Strat making music with Duane Allman's Les Paul.

Speaking of Duane - Here's a study on Les Paul tone, on each pickup:

And for the Stratocaster

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Hendrix's first two albums for the Strat, Clapton on Bluesbreakers and Page on How the West Was Won and/or The Song Remains the Same for the Les Paul. (Well, apart from the doubleneck songs.)

Hendrix's amps on his first two albums sound (to my ears) like small combo amps, not Marshall stacks dialed up to 11. Does anybody know what amp(s) he used when recording those albums?

jrgtr42

Mark Knopfler for both.
Money for Nothing for the LP, specifically the neck pickup / tone down sound.
For the Strat, well, most of the rest, but IMO Sultans of Swing is the ultimate.

Texas Blues

Les Paul tone.

This is Les Paul tone.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UKeL6MGTq80" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Have mercy.

oldog

Les Paul tone.

This is Les Paul tone.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UKeL6MGTq80" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Have mercy.
And breaking a string right off the bat and just carrying on with the song. What a player,What a loss. I had never heard of Sean until we went to see Dickey Betts and Dickey called Sean out to jam on Southbound. I've been a fan ever since.

LeonC

Got to go with Allman Bros live at the Filmore for Les Paul tone...can't really beat that, IMO.

But lots of love for Billy Gibbon's LP tones; here's a good example.

And Fleetwood Mac

continued...

LeonC

...continued. Don't want to forget Mike Bloomfield:

As for Strat tones. Love Scott Henderson's tone!

LeonC

And as a proxy for Jimi's strat tone, here's Randy Hansen's 1983 Merman

thunderkyss

For the longest time I thought Abraxas was done on a Les Paul. Keep in mind, when I first learned of Santana there was no internet as we know it today & he wasn't on MTV.

Tonebender

The live Derek and the Dominoes for the Strat. For the LP, the Peter Greene track The Supernatural.