• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mike Burn plays 1959 burst

Tarcisioo

Am I a minority who thinks vintage guitars with digital effects sounds quite sterile? Everyone in the youtube comment section seems to love the tone he is getting, but I don't find it particularly good or bad, just sterile. Maybe it's just me

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
With that amount of effects on it, there's no way to hear the actual tone of the guitar.

marfen

Agreed not much guitar tone going on here. I like his demos for the cool playing tho.

Dave P

I kind of like he's using the burst in a different context and tone, rather than banging out the same old tired sh*t everyone else does with vintage gear demos.

AbbacusZ

Sadly, you have to hear the processing and not the guitar. The video is more about the player and not the guitar.

El Gringo

I kind of like he's using the burst in a different context and tone, rather than banging out the same old tired sh*t everyone else does with vintage gear demos.
The 59 Burst is a vintage guitar and that would be in the context I would want to listen to it preferably thru a Marshall amp for the classic tone recipe , not thru digital effects and such .Check out Jimmy Page in the concert film The Song Remains the Same from Led Zeppelin .

El Gringo

Sadly, you have to hear the processing and not the guitar. The video is more about the player and not the guitar.
Exactly as such with this gentleman flailing away on it as well was very distracting in addition to the over processed digital sound .

NYCBURST

Bridge was re-positioned, it looks. although soaked with unnecessary effects, I wouldn't kick it out'a bed.

Elmore

Great guitar player! Fingers instead of a pick on a ‘burst. I am OK with the tone and effects. Those effects have never sounded so good! Atonal and Jeff Beck like. Original. Would like to hear the same playing dry.

Garincha

Maybe my age is slowly taking it's toll and I'm eventually getting deaf, but which effects is everybody hearing in this video? I don't hear any. The amp is the Hughes & Kettner Combo he had sitting on the floor to his right. That rack behind him consists of mostly synthesizers for the backing track and the usual recording gear (most of it analog actually, look at that nice Focusride Red). Other than a bit of reverb I don't spot any effects in that Clip. I personally hate the sound of that amp, but it is a tube amp. Although the amp has too much of gain and treble dialed in, you still can hear the character of a burst in that Video.

The track is mixed well, but the Mixdown doesn't sound like anything other than the usual EQ und Compressor - which is what literally every recoding in the last 50 years is made with. But I hear no Modulation FX or even more advanced effects like chrystal delays, pitch shifting or that kind of stuff.

It is just a well recorded track (for an amateur at least) with an amp sound I personally don't like. But who says a Burst has to be recorded with a Plexi Superlead?

Cyphex

He uses a pretty beat up Peavey Classic combo for this video. I only hear reverb and maybe a touch delay, but that’s me... And yes, I watched it on the iPad so the demo sounds pretty thin:##

Amazing playing technique, though! Will give it a listen with a decent headset.