• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Richlite Debate

goldTopDeluxe

I have Richlite on a Sigma J200 copy. Didn't realise or even know what Richlite was until I did a bit of research - and this was during a 4 week period where I paid for the guitar in instalments. I initially felt bummed when I realised I was not getting a traditional timber for my fingerboard.

Within a week or so of owning the guitar, I was more than satisfied with the Richlite. It feels good, sounds good, looks good and I'm thinking this will AGE better as well. Its easier to keep clean and if it helps the environment - bonus! Would go with Richlite any day!

bossanova

Hey all- I know this has been discussed on here many times before but just wanted to throw my thoughts on Richlite boards out here- and always curious to hear others opinions too.
So- as of a couple months ago I was one of these "a Les Paul Custom should always have an ebony fretboard" people. When I heard Gibson was using Richlite, I cringed and thought "well...I'll never own a newer Custom again"..
Anyways... I own a '96 Custom and love it, but a friend bought a 2018 and hardly plays or uses it- so has loaned it to me to "test run" so to speak. I gotta tell you- I'm almost starting to think I like the feel of Richlite better than ebony! Or at least just as well. Very fast and the tone is awesome IMO. I know the general worry is how long will these boards hold up, and I guess since it's still relatively early in the game, only time will tell. But as for how the tone and playability of a guitar with Richlite goes- I'm now converted and sold!! Post away on your experiences- even if they're negative- again- this is just me. Others probably hate the stuff! Thanks everyone!

I hate the *idea* of it. I'd like my guitars to be made entirely of wood. That's just me.

I don't doubt that it plays fine. But, not for me. I'd rather have a used one, or one with baked maple instead. At least that's wood.

I wouldn't want a LP with a body or neck made out of anything but mahogany, either.

El Gringo

Now here is my question regarding this matter of Richlite , what do you all think of rosewood being used on some of the Memphis 355 versus ebony or richlite ? To me the rosewood looks funky on a 355 with the block inlays . Just wondering as far as what people think of the rosewood on the 355 versus the ebony as far as tonal qualities go ?

lespaul1970

Now here is my question regarding this matter of Richlite , what do you all think of rosewood being used on some of the Memphis 355 versus ebony or richlite ? To me the rosewood looks funky on a 355 with the block inlays . Just wondering as far as what people think of the rosewood on the 355 versus the ebony as far as tonal qualities go ?

Yeah I agree- the Rosewood definitely doesn't have as nice of a look as the Ebony or Richlite. To my ear, Rosewood always sounds warmer and deeper than Ebony or Richlite. I've found the properties of Ebony and Rosewood to be very similar, which is why they chose to go with it I guess. If no one told me I was playing a guitar with Richlite, and I didn't look at the board close for visual differences, I honestly don't think I'd know the difference.

Guitpicky

Never had Richlite so I can't compare but my 2018 Modern LP Custom came with an Ebony board. They used striped ebony, looks like Macassar to me. It's very smooth and dense just like black ebony but with blond highlights. Looks good and feels good, glad they didn't try to dye it black like some other mfrs do :)

El Gringo

Never had Richlite so I can't compare but my 2018 Modern LP Custom came with an Ebony board. They used striped ebony, looks like Macassar to me. It's very smooth and dense just like black ebony but with blond highlights. Looks good and feels good, glad they didn't try to dye it black like some other mfrs do :)
I have seen the models in question and it looked pretty cool to me and is not a turn off for me in the least . Did you see this at CME ?

El Gringo

With this years NAMM show Gibson has announced that they will be using Ebony on there USA line in addition to the Custom Shop instruments ! I guess Ebony won !

c_wester

My suspicion is that Richlite is better compared to ebony.
And im going to put it to the test as soon as I can.

lespaul1970

With this years NAMM show Gibson has announced that they will be using Ebony on there USA line in addition to the Custom Shop instruments ! I guess Ebony won !

Oh don't get me wrong! I'm not saying I'm "anti Ebony"- I love it! I'm just saying Richlite is just as good- feel and tone wise- IMO. But hey- I'm all for sticking with good old Ebony if Gibson is able to! I have no problem with that!

renderit

I have Richlite on a Sigma J200 copy. Didn't realise or even know what Richlite was until I did a bit of research - and this was during a 4 week period where I paid for the guitar in instalments. I initially felt bummed when I realised I was not getting a traditional timber for my fingerboard.

Within a week or so of owning the guitar, I was more than satisfied with the Richlite. It feels good, sounds good, looks good and I'm thinking this will AGE better as well. Its easier to keep clean and if it helps the environment - bonus! Would go with Richlite any day!

Now, we won't know this for a while! I'm waiting 50 years to see if it is the 2000's answer to Bakelite! Maybe it will fall apart. Those sayin' it will outlast actual wood? Really?...

musekatcher

Here's a couple facts. Richlite is heavier than Ebony, but similar to rosewood. Richlite is less stiff than both however by a significant amount. The fretboard is structurally part of the neck. Try bending a neck with no fretboard and you'll see how important the fretboard is to the neck stiffness. To make it as stiff as Rosewood, you'd have to make it thicker, which will add weight. I've noticed mine are neck divers btw.

But, the proof is in the pudding as they say. The ones I've played, felt great, and sounded fine. I just returned a new flattop because the electronics were faulty, but it otherwise was a keeper. I'm going to prefer rosewood (even over Ebony) or maple always, but I won't rule out Richlite, all else being optimal.

El Gringo

I am glad that Gibson will be using real Ebony boards on there USA models in addition to the Custom Shop Guitars . The stakes are to high as everyone votes with there wallets !

iknowpeanuts

I dont think its really an issue with tone, ie. pretty sure richlite is a decent enough substitute. just think that it boils down to the fact that consumers in general feel that they're digging deep to cozy up the premium in cash but Gibson doesn't seem to go the extra mile to use premium materials. ironically, epiphones will give you a fairly decent slab of ebony for the price... End of the day it's the mind and not so much the ears... It's just something that is hard to overcome from a PR perspective. plus i think that moment to change customer perception has slipped by and it's really out of gibson's hands now.

MeHereNow

Now, we won't know this for a while! I'm waiting 50 years to see if it is the 2000's answer to Bakelite! Maybe it will fall apart. Those sayin' it will outlast actual wood? Really?...

Maybe some 30/40 year old used kitchen/counter tops give a good indication, it's the same stuff. :salude

El Gringo

BTW Henry is still a Gibson employee. I think he did a fabulous job getting Gibson back to making proper LPs. I think Henry did more for the LP than Les Paul did
Yes, if you consider robo tuners, richlite fretboards , and all of that type of nonsense great !

lespaul1970

Interesting that they will be going back to using Ebony now. What's the real story as to why they ever stopped? I've heard a million stories as to why they stopped using it- but I thought mainly it was because the source of Ebony had all but dried up. I've heard the stories, as we all have, on how Taylor has the big stock of Ebony, etc. Sooooo if that's the case- did they just magically come up with more?

BLOYD

Interesting that they will be going back to using Ebony now. What's the real story as to why they ever stopped? I've heard a million stories as to why they stopped using it- but I thought mainly it was because the source of Ebony had all but dried up. I've heard the stories, as we all have, on how Taylor has the big stock of Ebony, etc. Sooooo if that's the case- did they just magically come up with more?

Im surprised this wasn't asked in one of those NAMM video's we saw over the weekend.