• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

VIDEO: 2018 R7 Goldtop, ReWind PAF-1 Pickups, '69 100W Marshall Plexi, 30W Greenbacks

Ed A

In this video I turned up the Superlead Plexi to 10!... ReWind PAF-1 Humbuckers that read 8.6K neck and 8.3K bridge... Never though I would like a higher wind in the neck but these sound fantastic and workmanship and aging are stellar... Pickups are loaded in a 2018 Goldtop '57 Reissue and played through a bone stock early '69 Plexi 100w and '68 cab with Pre-Rola G12H30 55hz Greenbacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTLZM1ol8uY

El Gringo

Outstanding , Bravo on such delicious tone and killer playing !!!!!!!!!

goldtop0

What's not to like about that.......great tone......thanks Ed:2cool

renderit

As usual Ed: I hate you. You could play anything of mine and shame me in 15 seconds! You have the coolest.
Everything.

JPP-1

Ed, stellar playing as always man.

You seem to always be able to wring out that crying delta mud covered honk with such ease.

That R7 sounds awesome too. I know you like your Bartletts, but that R7 with the Rewinds is the business. I mean better than that tone, I think your splitting hairs at that point. And the sweet Plexi and Pulsonic combo, a little piece of tonal nirvana

Ed A

Ed, stellar playing as always man.

You seem to always be able to wring out that crying delta mud covered honk with such ease.

That R7 sounds awesome too. I know you like your Bartletts, but that R7 with the Rewinds is the business. I mean better than that tone, I think your splitting hairs at that point. And the sweet Plexi and Pulsonic combo, a little piece of tonal nirvana

Thanks JPP! That R7 is a fabulous sounding guitar I love it. Don’t want to get into a whole long discussion about Old wood versus new wood etc. or how can we prove the replica is old wood etc., but if you were in the room with me I could show you the difference and why I still prefer the replica. And you would hear it. But yeah the difference is not huge and it’s really hard to describe, I feel fortunate to own anything that I have at this point. I’m always forced to sell stuff at some point. My 53 conversion Was still the best sounding les Paul I ever owned. Miss that one. But the Bartlett is such a close second to it and the R7 is a close third so, all is good! By the way I’ve had so many reissues, and the one that sounded just about as good as the replica or even the conversion was the Carmelita CC. I got that in a trade and I had to move it because I needed the cash. I also let it go because it wasn’t the type of look and flame that I like. But that was one phenomenal sounding guitar.

JPP-1

Anytime Ed, Interesting about the Carmelita because I actually preferred the R7 and Bartlett at least from what I heard in the videos. But then again they’re videos.

How do you like the 55hz pulsonics compared to the 75hz? In your video they sounded amazing. If I’m listening right, they seem to have a little of that hollow transparent quality you get from the d120fs moreso than than what you’d get from the 75hz version. I’ve been thinking of picking up a 55hz greenback either a g12m 55 or g12h 55. Speaking of which, after watching several of your videos a while back, I went out a bought a couple JBL d120fs. Definitely my favorite speaker. I was lucky to get an earlier one that is in pristine condition and completely original.

I to feel fortunate everyday to have such great gear to play, especially since I’m really a hack player. You on the other hand, actually have serious chops, so it’s good to hear you have the gear to match.

Thanks JPP! That R7 is a fabulous sounding guitar I love it. Don’t want to get into a whole long discussion about Old wood versus new wood etc. or how can we prove the replica is old wood etc., but if you were in the room with me I could show you the difference and why I still prefer the replica. And you would hear it. But yeah the difference is not huge and it’s really hard to describe, I feel fortunate to own anything that I have at this point. I’m always forced to sell stuff at some point. My 53 conversion Was still the best sounding les Paul I ever owned. Miss that one. But the Bartlett is such a close second to it and the R7 is a close third so, all is good! By the way I’ve had so many reissues, and the one that sounded just about as good as the replica or even the conversion was the Carmelita CC. I got that in a trade and I had to move it because I needed the cash. I also let it go because it wasn’t the type of look and flame that I like. But that was one phenomenal sounding guitar.

Ed A

Anytime Ed, Interesting about the Carmelita because I actually preferred the R7 and Bartlett at least from what I heard in the videos. But then again they’re videos.

How do you like the 55hz pulsonics compared to the 75hz? In your video they sounded amazing. If I’m listening right, they seem to have a little of that hollow transparent quality you get from the d120fs moreso than than what you’d get from the 75hz version. I’ve been thinking of picking up a 55hz greenback either a g12m 55 or g12h 55. Speaking of which, after watching several of your videos a while back, I went out a bought a couple JBL d120fs. Definitely my favorite speaker. I was lucky to get an earlier one that is in pristine condition and completely original.

I to feel fortunate everyday to have such great gear to play, especially since I’m really a hack player. You on the other hand, actually have serious chops, so it’s good to hear you have the gear to match.

My current cab Ive had for probably 8 to 10 years... prior to that I had at least a half dozen vintage cabs come and go... I had all four versions, all pre-rola... g12H30 55hz, g12H30 75hz, g12M25 55hz, g12M25 75hz... as you probably know, the cabs with the Bass logo were 25w 55hz... and the cabs with 100 logo 95% of the time were 30w, 55hz (often with no label)... the 30w, 75hz were more rare... ALL four speakers sound very different from one another... I didnt settle on G12H30 55hz because others said it was the holy grail... I settled on those because to my ears they are clearly the best sounding... both 25w versions lead and bass are much more edgy and fizzy on the top end... which is a great tone if you like that and many do... but the both 30s have tighter bottom end and definitely smoother top end... although the 30w lead cone is my second fave, what i do not like about it compared the 30 bass cone is it has an upper mid spike, thats harsh sounding to me... the 30W bass cone (G12H30 55hz) is perfection... by the way there are shots of cream I believe with the 100 logos and Hendrix too... and if you look at the early pix of Page he had the 100 logos which through time broke or fell off... all those guys Im sure at one were using the 30w bass cones...

JPP-1

My current cab Ive had for probably 8 to 10 years... prior to that I had at least a half dozen vintage cabs come and go... I had all four versions, all pre-rola... g12H30 55hz, g12H30 75hz, g12M25 55hz, g12M25 75hz... as you probably know, the cabs with the Bass logo were 25w 55hz... and the cabs with 100 logo 95% of the time were 30w, 55hz (often with no label)... the 30w, 75hz were more rare... ALL four speakers sound very different from one another... I didnt settle on G12H30 55hz because others said it was the holy grail... I settled on those because to my ears they are clearly the best sounding... both 25w versions lead and bass are much more edgy and fizzy on the top end... which is a great tone if you like that and many do... but the both 30s have tighter bottom end and definitely smoother top end... although the 30w lead cone is my second fave, what i do not like about it compared the 30 bass cone is it has an upper mid spike, thats harsh sounding to me... the 30W bass cone (G12H30 55hz) is perfection... by the way there are shots of cream I believe with the 100 logos and Hendrix too... and if you look at the early pix of Page he had the 100 logos which through time broke or fell off... all those guys Im sure at one were using the 30w bass cones...

Great info, thank you Ed.