• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Threatin: Band Creates Fake Fanbase for Tour Attended by No One

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
This story is wild -- have you guys been following it?

One of the greatest art rock pranks of all time – or a hugely expensive exercise in vanity? That’s the question some music venues across the UK are wrestling with after US-based “band” Threatin came over to Europe to play a string of gigs in well-known venues – to absolutely nobody.

Jered Threatin, the creative force behind Threatin, had an online presence that suggested an active fanbase, and that his act had toured extensively in the US. Venues also appear to have been informed that large numbers of tickets had been pre-sold, which turned out to be untrue.

Venues on the tour included The Underworld in London, Trillians in Newcastle and the Exchange in Bristol. The Underworld posted publicly to Thretin’s Facebook page, saying “What happened to the 291 advanced ticket sales your agent said you’d sold? THREE PEOPLE turned up.”

Artists who have unwittingly been drawn into the story as support acts have been boasting about being part of the experience - Bristol-based artist Sasori, who also drums with the band Kamino, said on social media that he was “feeling pretty special, not everyone gets to say they played on the same bill as Threatin at his sellout show in Bristol”.

Jered Threatin (real name: Jered Eames) is not a terrible singer, but this has to be the wimpiest sounding drum mix on a hard rock/metal song I've ever heard. And the opening riff sounds a bit like a cut-time version of the Foo Fighters' "Everlong" riff:

Last edited:

metropolis

I read the full write up on this on the BBC yesterday hoping to find it funny but I found it really strange instead. I'm not entirely sure what the guy was trying to achieve, especially as he deleted all his social media not long afterwards so even benefiting from the fame / infamy.

...this has to be the wimpiest sounding drum mix on a hard rock/metal song I've ever heard.

Sounds like it was made in Garageband. I'm pretty certain those are sequenced drums.