• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2002 Les Paul Standard

barman

Thanks, this is a standard plus but the owner didn’t tell me that, I just saw the code under the pickups. I like the Burstbuckers too. I felt the BK had a bit more brightness in the neck which I wanted but it was really close. I have looked at alternatives but am nervous to spend the money for something I can’t guarantee I’ll prefer. I’m friendly with the guy who makes Montys Pickups so if I do try any it would be them. Fortunately the previous owner didn’t venture much higher than the 7th fret so the wear on this is low down and not as bad as it could be. I’m picking it up tomorrow so will see how it comes out.

Great, please post more pictures.
Your username reminds me of one photo I took last year:
IMG_20170807_144759_BURST009_zpstq9yexr5.jpg

Last edited:

metropolis

That's a great poster! My username is a reference to Dream Theater rather than the film - I've just been using it since around 2000 and it'd be confusing to change.

The standard is back from the fret dress and plays beautifully, they did a really great job with it considering the wear it had. I'm going to replace the whole harness over the next few weeks so will get some more photos done when that's all complete. I'm changing the harness because I prefer 500k volume pots and the current one is a bit of a mess with all the pickup swaps this guitar has had.

supanorton

Wow!!! Looks and sounds fabulous. Nice touch and tasty licks on those clips.

Don

I know mine is one piece as well. I don't think it lasted more than 2 years and then you see two pieces.

I believe this is correct- they changed standards to a multi piece in the mid '00s.

This guitar is a beauty and I like the sound of the JCA20HV. I almost bought one when one of the online retailers offered a deep discount, mostly to see how it's different than my Soldano Astroverb.

barman

I believe this is correct- they changed standards to a multi piece in the mid '00s.

This guitar is a beauty and I like the sound of the JCA20HV. I almost bought one when one of the online retailers offered a deep discount, mostly to see how it's different than my Soldano Astroverb.

Thanks for your comment, that Jet City is a super amp. Unfortunately I never had the chance to try a Soldano. They're really uncommon around where I live.
I've seen no more than couple of them in shops, in +20 years of playing the guitar.
I was blown away by the JCA 20HV, especially considering its price. I belive it's fantastic value for the money (less than $300 new at the time I bought it). It's also really well built for a cheap made in China amplifier.
The stock tubes are bad, they need to be changed. Otherwise it's a great sounding, very reliable piece of gear that I'm not afraid of lugging around to every rehearsal or show with my band.
It's so affordable I don't have to worry about it being roughed up, that brings peace of mind.