• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Please, help with dating a Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty (1969 or 1970)

adristereo

I bought this guitar in a vintage shop. They said it is a 1969 LP Custom, but I am now starting to think that it is from 1970. I need your help, please, as I am not good at dating my own guitar :dang.

Gibson Les Paul Custom (black beauty)
Serial: 9067XX

Pancake Body
Small Volute
No "Made in USA"
Pots: 137-70-1X
Logo: no dot on the i and open B and O
Is there anything else that might help to identify the production year? Please, let me know so that I can have a look at it.

I will be very grateful if you can help out with dating my guitar!!!!
Best from Madrid
:eek:la

Zeppelinguy85

All Access/Backstage Pass
I bought this guitar in a vintage shop. They said it is a 1969 LP Custom, but I am now starting to think that it is from 1970. I need your help, please, as I am not good at dating my own guitar :dang.

Pancake Body
Small Volute
No "Made in USA"
Is there anything else that might help to identify the production year? Please, let me know so that I can have a look at it.

Best from Madrid

Serial, pancake body, and pot codes say ‘70. Not sure why on the volute though. A 1x pot code would mean Q1 though, maybe it was started in ‘69 and finished in ‘70? Either way, enjoy it!

adristereo

Serial, pancake body, and pot codes say ‘70. Not sure why on the volute though. A 1x pot code would mean Q1 though, maybe it was started in ‘69 and finished in ‘70? Either way, enjoy it!

Thanks for answering!!!
You might agree with me that price changes a bit between 69' and 70' LP Customs. I did buy a 69' and payed the money for it. If this is really a 70' LPC, then I was cheated... don't you agree?
Guitar sounds great and I am happy with it. But I am planning to sell it in the future and production year has a massive influence on prices. That is why I would like to know what I have in hands. I do not want to be cheated... and I do not want to cheat someone else in the future!
Thanks.

adristereo

moonweasel

Hi! I responded to your direct msg. I am too busy to check for direct msgs a lot of the time, so it can be best to reach out to me through my website.

That said, yes, it sounds like an early 1970 instrument to me. Early 1970 would be identical to the latest 1969 guitars.

marshall1987

Pancake Body
Small Volute
No "Made in USA"

Best from Madrid

With pots dated to 1970, it's not likely a 1969 Les Paul Custom.

El Gringo

Hi! I responded to your direct msg. I am too busy to check for direct msgs a lot of the time, so it can be best to reach out to me through my website.

That said, yes, it sounds like an early 1970 instrument to me. Early 1970 would be identical to the latest 1969 guitars.
Did the 72 LPC have the dotted I on the headstock logo ?