• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My 2017 Blueberry Burst Les Paul Standard

COOLHANDLUKE

Hi,
Quick background,
I am really a fender Player, and my go to guitar is a telecaster. I do however have a 2017 Les Paul blueberry burst Les Paul standard ( not the HP version). I bought it on a whim last year for a ridiculous price, from a person who decided to sell it after only having it for a few months.
The guitar is probably the most attractive thing i have ever owned. I really like how it plays, the set up i had done is great and it is easy to play and the neck is fabulous.
But,
I really really hate the sound of the two pickups. I play with others who have got different versions of Les Paul guitars and this guitar is not up to their sound. My guitar sounds overly muffled, dark sounding or if i try to brighten it up then harsh. It does not have the clarity and creamy sounds that i associate with this model and make. I have played hum buckers before but i do not like these pickups. I do like the idea of the split coils but again there is really not that good a tone to warrant having these.

Q, is there a set of pickups i can put into this guitar which will give me the tone! i am not a overdrive , pedal type of guy, and like clean jazzy/blues tones. keeping the split coils would be helpful, but not a necessity.

Dperalta

Try a Burst Bucker 1 and 2. If You are handy You could try swapping the A5 in the bridge PU with an A2. That's what I did and it helped a ton.

David

renderit

First off, welcome and thank you for joining.

Second.

If you sound muffled and dark - replace your pots with decent ones. I would recommend VIPots from Vintage Inspired Pickups. Ask that they be graded if you don't have a multimeter so you can put the higher values in the Volume positions. I would also change out my caps but you decide that. Make sure you have .022Mfd. I use paper in oil type, but there is legitimate data pointing to 'it don't really matter'. I use mostly Luxe brand, but many cheaper PIO's are out there. And I have liked them as well.

If at this point it still is not to your liking you may want to start trying out different pickups. I would not until the pots are changed.

grimlyflick

I swapped out the pots and caps of my 2016 Standard and still found the guitar sounded murky.
Change of pickups sorted things, although I remember having a 2006 Standard and the burstbuckers in that sounded very dark also, 57s in my old Sig T not so.

Loving the Montys in my standard now though.
:salude