• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - 2018 R8/1958 Royal Tea Burst

UEF

Model: 2018 R8/1958 Historic in ‘Royal Tea Burst’. Per 2018 models they now have the True Historic plastics.

This’ll be my 3rdLes Paul after a cheap 1988 Epiphone and a less cheap 2006 Custom.

I had been looking for years for a plain top (although not looking that seriously, due to the cost of them). Happened upon this one – it wasn’t quite as ‘plain’ as I’d set out for (it has some ripply flame/figuring too) but it won out in a sound and feel test.

Coming from some rather more ordinary guitars, there are a couple of differences I spotted. The neck finish is super thin and feels almost satin – which is a really comfortable play. The 58 neck feels solid in the hand and not too thick (certainly not as thick as my Brian May guitars!). And needless to say, it's *nicer* to look at.

Tonally, there’s something about the neck pickup that I really like – when the tone is all the way up, it sounds as if the tone is already backed off and quite thick sounding. When you then actually back the tone off, it obviously gets even rounder and thicker.

Really happy with it.

VX0Nuej.jpg

Zx3OnDc.jpg

ZeuEbyz.jpg

DWS2

Les Paul Froum Member
Congrats. Love the fade on this. The top is subtle but pops all at the same time. Enjoy

Froggie

Beautiful guitar, looks real vintage to me :)

I have a 2016 R9 Sunrise Tea Burst. Love the colour and I defo want to add a R8 to my collection some day!

Enjoy and good luck!

LemonFade

Super nice!!! I know what you mean about the neck. It’s nice and fat but definitely a very playable neck. I just purchased a Lemon Fade VOS Historic 58 and after playing my Ancho Poblano Strat, EJ Strat and Brad Paisley Tele all big neck guitars it doesn’t seem overwhelming large to me.

Last edited: