• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Do guitars with Honduran Mahogany require CITES permits?

turboLp

I'm a bit confused about the CITES restrictions regarding Honduran Mahogany. i'm thinking of getting a Japanese guitar with Honduran Mahogany from Japan, living in the EU myself. thinking that Honduran Mahog is some holy grail wood, i tried navigating through the CITES database/website but i just couldn't understand it. so I called up some authority in the UK, explained the situation, mentioned Swietencia Macrophaglia, and they said that i need a CITES permit for Swietencia Macrophaglia. i started doing research and... aren't Gibson custom shop currently using this species mahogany, just grown in plantation in Fiji? so i wonder whether i have been informed by the authorities correctly?

garywright

sorry I'm no help with the CITES ..but wanted to mention the link above has a very nice video at the bottom showing the chatoyancy of Honduran