• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My 2nd Refin. A late 80s Alvarez that turns out to be Flame maple/Mahogany Pics

Hotshot

Hi guys,

I just finished up my second refin. This one was a Full restore. Backstory is, an old bandmate say 93-96 had this nice Alvarez burst, with a USA hardshell and everything. Never seen these things before but it was nice. 24 years later we re connected. I asked him what ever happened to that guitar. He said he messed it up by totally spray painting it with Treamclad Blueflake and Gloss years ago. I said, hand it over.

It took forever to strip but as i kept at it, Underneath was awesome. Its funny how today this body would be $$$$ and if it were gibson....well...

Anyway. I stripped it, did the same treatment to is as my Les Paul. Analine dye, Clear, Shades, Topcoat, wetland, Pro Buff. I call it the Historic treatment.

For the record i wanted to keep it like the Amber more flame pics, but he wanted it to be darker. It's his guitar so I did what he said. I also blocked the bridge out. Its a Hardtail now. He is very happy.

Plays very nice.

Thoughts...

At the end is a pic of the First burst i did.

i-6TWMS2w-XL.jpg
i-TVXvJWS-XL.jpg

i-whdTFtc-XL.jpg
i-pTt4CgS-XL.jpg

And heres how it started..

i-QtrNTN8-XL.jpg

i-twgsC47-XL.jpg