• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Collector’s choice whitfordburst #26 Tone Suprise

I recently picked up a very nice Whitfordburst. I’m intrigued by Collector’s Choice but not 100% sure about them. In the case of my guitar it’s as described but somehow I’m not as impressed as I thought I would be. My biggest issue is the tone. The guitar is bright....noticeably more pronounced than my True Historic R8 and 2013 Les Paul Standard. I saw an interview where Brad Whitford stated he changed the pickups on his CC which he uses with Aerosmith. I was suprised when he said that. I thought I’d never do that but the tone on this one could be better. It’s not bad....but it’s not wow either. I was expecting to be blown away. Could be high expectations but right now I’m more impressed with my R8.

Have any other Whitfordburst owners had the same experience?

Last edited:

Fan of LP

I don't own any CC guitars. But, I believe CCs are all about the looks (replicating the aging/damage, plastics, stickers, etc.) and the case candy. Yeah, they try to wind pickups similarly and use same type of magnets (maybe), but everything else is just the same as any other Historic guitar. So, sound wise, personally I wouldn't expect more than what I get from my True Historic. Every guitar will be different from the other, etc., etc.

Ace139

I don't own any CC guitars. But, I believe CCs are all about the looks (replicating the aging/damage, plastics, stickers, etc.) and the case candy. Yeah, they try to wind pickups similarly and use same type of magnets (maybe), but everything else is just the same as any other Historic guitar. So, sound wise, personally I wouldn't expect more than what I get from my True Historic. Every guitar will be different from the other, etc., etc.

100%. I think Gibson does the best they can to capture the “spirit” of the original when making the CC. So many variables when it comes to tone of the guitar. - also in the ear of the listener - to determime good tone.

Thanks both of you.

I’ve had the guitar for two plus weeks now and play it a lot. I like it a lot. The custombuckers on this do sound different but I’m happy with it. I think the issue was expectations and a good setup with everything cleaned. I’ve been playing 40 years now and have an ear for tone. The pickup toggle was sticking which is now corrected. The thin sound in the bridge p/u is gone.

Collector’s Choice is a very interesting concept. The models I’d like to try are #1 and #8.

I will give an update. I’ve had the guitar over a month now. Can’t put it down. The pro set up was important. The previous owner also had the pickups adjusted too high which caused a buzz on low E 12th fret and affected tone. It is now a champ.

I can’t say enough good things about this guitar and the Collector’s Choice Concept. Obviously it’s impossible to make an exact duplicate a 1959 Burst but these are great options if you want some of that MOJO. I
love looking at it, holding it and most times when I’m done playing I kiss it and go WOW!

Id like to get The Beast and The Gary Moore models but I can’t find one....except the one Gary Moore not selling for $26K.

Fan of LP

Really glad you're enjoying your guitar! That's what it's all about. Well, that and the next new guitar ;)

You are very welcome . As far as your remark about the pickups ,if you are not happy may I recommend ThroBak SLE-101 Plus pickups which are DA BOMB . I know because I have them in a R8 of mine .

Im keeping the guitar stock. The pickups are great. The issue was the setup. Once I had it adjusted it roared. It really captures the vibe I was expecting.

I ‘I do like Throbaks and will consider them for a future need.....

You are very welcome . As far as your remark about the pickups ,if you are not happy may I recommend ThroBak SLE-101 Plus pickups which are DA BOMB . I know because I have them in a R8 of mine .

Im keeping the guitar stock. The pickups are great. The issue was the setup. Once I had it adjusted it roared. It really captures the vibe I was expecting.

I do like Throbaks and will consider them for a future need.....

Pellman73

cool guitar!

I had a CC 15-- and thought it was great

I put Wizz pickups in it and it sounded really good with those

El Gringo

I do like Throbaks and will consider them for a future need.....
Sometimes all it takes is to have the right set up done and to quote your word "roars " is the sweetest sound imaginable to my ears indeed .Rock on !