• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Robo tuner replacements

jam81

Hi guys,

So I am thinking about replacing my Gforce tuners on my Les Paul Standard HP. Nothing wrong with them but I just want to put normal tuners. Which ones do you recommend for tuning stability?

Thanks!

Axis39

I have a Gold Top Less Plus that has the gForce tuners. I've been relatively happy with them, except on the last string change... They broke a string by tuning it too high. So, I've been contemplating the same thing.

Most Gibsons I've owned over the years have had some form of Kluson Deluxe with the plastic knobs. But, this time around I went with some nice Grovers with nickel milk bottle knobs. I picked a good set with a higher ratio for more accuracy. I just did it to be a little different from my norm, and I kinda like the look of the milk bottle tuner knobs.

I have Grover Sta-Tites on one of my Gretsches and my Gibson Acoustic. So, I am quite happy with Grover quality. I've been happy with all of the Klusons I've owned over the years as well.

I guess it comes down to look, locking/non-locking and ratio you want.

Since I finished the string change, and they were my usual Thomastik Infeld flatwounds, they will last me a while. They are also expensive, as far as guitar strings go. So, it will be a while before I am willing to pull the gForce unit off and do the actualy tuner change. But, I have the pack of tuners sitting on my workbench waiting for the day.

Don

Any tuners that aren't broken will offer good tuning stability though some tuners look and feel better than others.

The traditional choice on a Les Paul Standard would be Kluson style with plastic keystone buttons. Grover Rotomatics are a traditional "upgrade". I like them both. If you go with Kluson style tuners you'll probably want the type with the threaded bushing unless you want to use conversion bushings, and don't mind seeing slight imprints in the headstock face from the washers on the old tuners. If you like ease of restringing you can get locking tuners.

Gotoh, Schaller, Sprezel and others make great tuners as well.