• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Practicing With Headphones

jalevinemd

For those of you who practice with headphones or who have put together mini travel rigs for vacations and such, what are you using?

Right now I’ve got a Boss MS3 into a Quilter Tone Block 201 running into a Digitech CabDryVR into a Behringer 502 mixer. It’s very small and cost friendly. What I’ve noticed is that chords sound pretty good, but my leads sound very compressed and ‘lifeless.’

I know there have to be better solutions out there that will permit the headphones to sound more like the tone of my live rig. I’m just not sure where to go from here. Would love some advice.

Regards,

Jonathan

renderit

I have 5000 different configurations but my most usual with headphones is:

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................(If I wish to play
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................WITH something
............................................................................................................................................................................................................>Pre Sonus AudioBox>
----.....---...(usually Cali76 pedal)......................................................................................................................-......................Computer )................
--.----....-...|------------------...............---|..............................................................................................................................|.............................................-........|
Guitar ->|------------------------------↳Amp --|-------------------------↱ Two Notes Torpedo Live -->|---------------------------------↳ HEADPHONES!
................................................................-.......................|.........................-...............|
..............................................................................-.........(If amp speaker ...->|
................................................................................................out is not 8 ohms
........................................................................................................then a
...........................................................................................Weber Z-Matcher)

Last edited:

J T

Headphones themselves make a big difference. Most modern headphones are designed for mp3 thru digital device. That means they are low frequency/ high frequency emphasized with the mids that just disappear. Try out studio headphones which are more balanced like AKG. Shure SRH440 are good relatively inexpensive choice. Those popular "B" headphone may get you fashion compliments, but are very low frequency heavy and you will not get the entire spectrum of your mix.

Last edited:

F-Hole

Sennheiser wireless headphones. Paired with an AxeFX and a wireless rig I can be 200 yards away in the garden and rock out.

thejaf

Headphones themselves make a big difference. Most modern headphones are designed for mp3 thru digital device. That means they are low frequency/ high frequency emphasized with the mids that just disappear. Try out studio headphones which are more balanced like AKG. Shure SRH440 are good relatively inexpensive choice. Those popular "B" headphone may get you fashion compliments, but are very low frequency heavy and you will not get the entire spectrum of your mix.

+1. Just be sure to keep the impedance somewhat matched with your device (some studio headphones are much higher impedance, and require a headphone amp or matching transformer).

mdubya

I used ear buds with a $100 Mustang I modeler which sounded amazing for what it was. It didn't work with studio headphones, though. Fractal models sound amazing with studio 'phones.

The Mustang sounded so good it was my prefered way to practice for quite a while.

Last edited:

jam81

To me practicing on vacation is like hitting the gym, I always say I will do it and never gets done past the first day :lol. But for home practice when I need it to be quiet I use the Ox Box.