• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Inherited a Les Paul 56 Goldtop

GrandpasLP

Thanks for all of the information and the positive feedback. We had the guitar examined by an expert who confirmed that it is all original (with the exception of one wire). The neck is in great shape and it is playing beautifully.

I appreciate the perspective of those who have suggested we hold onto it, but it's been sitting around for almost 30 years and all of our kids are old enough that we know there is not going to be any guitarist in the family for the foreseeable future. I think we'd all agree that instruments were meant to be played, not to sit in a closet. We will be putting the guitar up for sale.

I've learned a lot on this forum and appreciate the passion and knowledge that is displayed so profoundly on these pages! Thanks again.

Doc Sausage

Well there you have it, a vintage piece of history, lost and found. I know you all have had great advice. I hope it finds its way into the right hands at right price.

At the great risk of comimg off, well, all wrong, and given the increasing opportunity for fraud, does anyone find the story a little too perfect? Sorry OP, but stranger things have happened. Maybe that’s the ONE thing I’ve learned here. : /

Hotshot

Now thats just awesome. Great find, Great story. I have my Italian Grandpas Trumpet he had since WWII. Not worth near that LP, but the sentimental value is priceless.

Could you imagine if you showed up to take lessons with that thing... Id pay to see that... Seriously though.. Don't do that..

GrandpasLP

Well there you have it, a vintage piece of history, lost and found. I know you all have had great advice. I hope it finds its way into the right hands at right price.

At the great risk of comimg off, well, all wrong, and given the increasing opportunity for fraud, does anyone find the story a little too perfect? Sorry OP, but stranger things have happened. Maybe that’s the ONE thing I’ve learned here. : /

I have seen enough fraud in the watch world to know where you are coming from. That having been said, I think it only seems like a "perfect" story because I'm telling it here to a bunch of guys who venerate this wonderful instrument!

My brother is a fairly public figure, so anyone interested in buying the guitar is going to be buying it from a guy with a Wikipedia page and a radio show on Sirius. No fraud here.

If anyone wants to see more pix: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0wGdPblXG9KwWL

Thanks!

Xpensive Wino

I have seen enough fraud in the watch world to know where you are coming from. That having been said, I think it only seems like a "perfect" story because I'm telling it here to a bunch of guys who venerate this wonderful instrument!

My brother is a fairly public figure, so anyone interested in buying the guitar is going to be buying it from a guy with a Wikipedia page and a radio show on Sirius. No fraud here.

If anyone wants to see more pix: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0wGdPblXG9KwWL

Thanks!

OK, you convinced me.

I'll give you $750 for it. :spabout

talonmm

Thanks!

Are you Howard Stern's brother?

Doc Sausage

Thanks!

I’m usually the last to raise this kind of question here, simply because I’m not qualified to judge a real instrument’s authenticity. Just call it, modern-day, Internet, blog-based skepticism. I love the story and guitar. Thanks for chiming in, Mr OP! Hope it finds a great home. And preferably to the constituency right here.