• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2012 ES-330 VOS (model HB097M) Questions

mustachio

I’m looking for thoughts, comments, anticdotes, suggestions for a couple of questions concerning my recently acquired 2012 ES-330 VOS (Vintage Cherry, non-Bigsby from factory, very limited run in that color). I had a Sunburst one in 2012 and loved that guitar and foolishly sold it. One came up for sale Wildwood and I had to have it. The previous original owner didn’t play it. He even had the switch tip in a bag, the thing is mint.

Okay, couple of quaestions:

1. The selector switch rattles a little in the middle position, so are there any other brands that make tightly machined selector switches? Not a big deal, especially plugged in, but I’ve been playing it a lot unplugged while at work (paramedic) and I can jimmy it til it stays silent, but eventually, that’s going to have to be replaced or it won’t stick. What other solutions could I attempt?

2. Would a Callaham replacement ABR bring a little more out of the guitar, or is it going to make it too treblely? Is the tone going to change with a 330 or will it be negligible? Does it help with tuning and intonation issues? Not that mine has any, but, does the Callaham have more saddle travel space? People with replacing 330 bridges experience preferred. 335 or Les Paul stories don’t help me in this question.

3. My particular model number is HB097M, a Gibson Custom ES-330 VOS (notice it’s only titled a “custom” and not “custom shop”) and it has a Custom Shop COA, but was it made in Nashville or Memphis? Is it a Custom Shop guitar made in Memphis? Not clear. The black case says “Gibson Custom”, not “USA” or “Memphis”.

4. I don’t think this was assembled with hide glue. Does anyone know for sure?

5. Finally, did ALL the 2012 Custom Shop guitars have two piece rosewood boards?

Thanks in advance.

AA00475Bassman

I don't believe they used hide glue in 2012 .

The fret board lamination used 2012 is something I've wondered about in regards to CS .

IMO the board lamination & glue really do not define the guitar , the body on a 330 is laminate.

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
What does the COA actually say? There was a long thread here recently (the 345 thread, I think) that tried to sort out the differences and how they've changed over the years.

mustachio

What does the COA actually say? There was a long thread here recently (the 345 thread, I think) that tried to sort out the differences and how they've changed over the years.

Gibson Custom Shop COA with Rick Gembar signature. Model HB097M and my serial number that begins with a T.

Professortwang

I have a Blonde 2013 that is absolutely one of my favorite guitars. I’m by no means an expert but I’ll take a stab at some of the questions.

1. The selector switch rattles a little in the middle position, so are there any other brands that make tightly machined selector switches? Not a big deal, especially plugged in, but I’ve been playing it a lot unplugged while at work (paramedic) and I can jimmy it til it stays silent, but eventually, that’s going to have to be replaced or it won’t stick. What other solutions could I attempt?

If it’s the switch itself rattling try some paraffin wax on the threads. Cheap and effective.

2. Would a Callaham replacement ABR bring a little more out of the guitar, or is it going to make it too treblely? Is the tone going to change with a 330 or will it be negligible? Does it help with tuning and intonation issues? Not that mine has any, but, does the Callaham have more saddle travel space? People with replacing 330 bridges experience preferred. 335 or Les Paul stories don’t help me in this question.

I’ve never felt the need to change the bridge or anything on mine. One of the things I like most about the guitar is it’s sound unplugged and the treble response on the bridge pickup. Other guitars I’ve owned have benefitted from changed hardware, Never felt the need with my 330.

4. I don’t think this was assembled with hide glue. Does anyone know for sure?

I think they were using good old tight bond.

5. Finally, did ALL the 2012 Custom Shop guitars have two piece rosewood boards? Only the 2012 models?

My 2013 has a one piece board. If memory serves correctly the two piece boards came in response to the DFWS raid on the Gibson plant.

The 330 is one of the easiest guitars to play and sounds fantastic! It is hard to pin down the variations between years. I was told that the 2013 models had two piece piece tops, mine doesn’t.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Phatfrank

I've had 3 2012 CS Les Pauls and have one now (CC#4) and all of them had the laminate fretboard, so fairly sure your's does as well. Send an email to Gibson and they'll give you the correct answer (unless they are too busy fighting of creditors these days, that is...).

As far as I'm concerned this is of no consequence (they all were fantastic guitars), but you will notice that some collectors (cork sniffers:hee?) will steer clear.