• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Veneering a (carved) top. Any tips and insights for the DIY approach?

MrFingers

I've gotten myself a carcass (yes, you can take that literally) of a Les Paul model, which I'd like to convert into a subtle burst. But the original top is severely damaged, with an overzealous sanding near the switch, and two ugly dowelled holes for the tailpiece (which was drilled in the wrong location). So a veneer needs to be added to hide those imperfections. I've already veneered a flat surface in the past with contact adhesive and a roller, and that worked out great, but this is going to be a whole different thing, with the curves in both the X & Y axis, a center-seam that needs to stay closed and centered,...

Anyone here who has already tackled this, and cares to help me out with some tips & tricks? Materials & procedures, do's and don'ts... I've already indulged myself in a thorough reading of the veneering-pages of joewoodworker.com, but since this is especially about a Les Paul, I thought I'd better ask it here. Especially tips on how to keep the center-seam closed (veneer tape I assume?), how to get the veneer to follow the curves without cracking/splintering and what glue to use when wanting to use stains.

The situation as it currently is (hidden behind a link, because it's really bad)... Still need to remove the (nitrocellulose) gold finish, and the polyurethane undercoat.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I think your best bet is a "re-top"... :hmm

However, I'm not so sure that this option would be worth the cost... :hmm

Last edited:

MrFingers

A complete re-top I was also contemplating, as for the cost/labour, maybe not really that worth it, as the back is a 3-piece back. Then again, I only paid 15€ for this husk, and it's got an ebony fretboard, so some money can be used to make it right again.

corpse

Veneer- which involves some type of vacuum arrangement to draw it down over the existing surface- is pretty involved. If this is a one off, I would suggest finding a luthier. If it is the start of a hobby have at it. Seek out jumpingatshadows on instagram. Yuuki is his name and he has been very generous with his advise to me- although all of our exchanges have been in regards to hardware.