• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Blockhead

rockinlespaul

Anybody here still playing a Blockhead? I am hoping to take delivery of a First Born very soon and have been trying to soak up all the info I can about them.

My main amp for a few years was a Marshall 1974X and from what I have read and heard, these are identical in every detail to the original 18 watters but sound even better.

Thoughts?

DucRyder

I started a Blockhead thread a while back.... I'm still loving my Blockhead Hand Grenade 50. Ossie builds killer amps :yah

F-Hole

Anybody here still playing a Blockhead? I am hoping to take delivery of a First Born very soon and have been trying to soak up all the info I can about them.

My main amp for a few years was a Marshall 1974X and from what I have read and heard, these are identical in every detail to the original 18 watters but sound even better.

Thoughts?

I'd be surprised if it were close. Most of the tone is in the OT and drivers. You also want to make sure the PT is 300-0-300.

The reissues I've seen are quite different to the original Marshall amps..........not necessarily better or worse, but quite different.

rockinlespaul

I'd be surprised if it were close. Most of the tone is in the OT and drivers. You also want to make sure the PT is 300-0-300.

The reissues I've seen are quite different to the original Marshall amps..........not necessarily better or worse, but quite different.

So you've seen the Blockhead then?

F-Hole

So you've seen the Blockhead then?

Only in chassis and layout photos. The comment on reissues is generic. I've built 18's with replica parts, and built 18's with 100% NOS parts from input jack to speaker....including all parts and wire. The difference is very, very noticable. The overwhelming majority of that difference comes from the OT and driver.

Again, a Blockhead will doubtless be a fine amp, but it won't be the same as an original. It'll be different.....not better or worse, just different.