• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R8 binding not flush with body

jens5

My 2016 R8's binding is not flush with the body. Is this more common than not? Aside from having to have the frets leveled and dressed when new, the guitar is otherwise fine.

corpse

With the top or the side- not that it matters.
Gibson will fix it- needs to be scraped. And touched up with varnish.

jens5

:photos:photos:photos

Impossible to photograph. Noticable by feel all the way around the top. All I know is that my two Collings, Martin and Larrivee are impossible to feel the difference between binding and body even with a fingernail. Bad on me to not pay attention when purchased.

jens5

With the top or the side- not that it matters.
Gibson will fix it- needs to be scraped. And touched up with varnish.

The side, all the way around. Reluctant to send to Gibson via the lengthy turn around.
My original question, is this common on a Historic or is this phenom somehow considered "Historic" correct?
I have other high end guitars where the binding is indistinguishable from the body.

Don

Gibson paints the whole guitar- right over the bindings, then they scrape the bindings to remove the color, before spraying with clear and buffing. The scraping often leaves a small ledge.

Every US made Gibson that I've had that had binding has had this ledge to some degree in some spots. You don't see it as often on imported guitars. I think they mask the binging on most of them.

Dilver

I think Don's got it right: it's meant to be that way, especially on an historic. From what I've read, many original bursts had this body binding "ledge" and it's a result of hand scraping the bindings after finishing. If you follow this link and scroll down to "FINISHES", they actually call it out as "True Historic Process To Preserve Soft Neck Binding Profile and Body Binding Ledge": http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Custom/True-Historic-1959-Les-Paul.aspx

latestarter

This is common, and correct insofar as vintage Gibson also have a ledge between the binding and wood. It does depend on how much the variance is - it shouldn’t be a very large gap/difference. Just a subtle ridge.

mdubya

I, too, believe it is reasonably common for lacquer shrinkage and a noticeable transition from binding to wood, in many, if not most Gibsons.

renderit

24401803838_9ca8364ea3.jpg

Dilver

This is from another forum, but it shows how Gibson does the binding on their guitars.

Interesting... so is “binding bleed” i.e. the pinkish color on binding a result from the second step in the process, meaning that it bled through onto the binding before it was scraped?

renderit

Sorry. don't follow.

Nor do I Dave. I lead. I don't know where I gots Dave in my head instead of jens5, but I don't know how half this chit gets in here anyways...

Interesting... so is “binding bleed” i.e. the pinkish color on binding a result from the second step in the process, meaning that it bled through onto the binding before it was scraped?

Nope. After. It "wicks" into the finish from below.

renderit

Yes. If it got on the binding actually I suspect it would not disappear as quickly as it does. I just "suspect" that. I actually do not "know" that.