• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"Fool" SG, clear-coat suggestions please.

frazettafan

I posted this on the "Other Gibsons" forum and thought I'd share it here as I'd like to ask what would be the best lacquer to clear coat this guitar with? It was painted with acrylic paint over an acrylic base coat so I'm assuming I should use the same type of material to finish it with. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

It was the first time I've attempted such a project and I wanted to get it as close as possible to the original even though it was painted on a mid-70s model SG. This was for a friend of mine and that was the guitar he wanted it applied to.

Thanks in advance for any help and I hope you like it!

Click on the thumbnails for a bigger image.

ScumbackSpeakers

Wish I could help, but my Fool SG replica was airbrushed and then nitro lacquer sprayed over the paint.

Have to tried calling someone like Lay's Guitar Shop in Ohio to ask?

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Liquitex makes a clear gloss acrylic varnish for brush on. Probaly the same manufacturer as your color paints.

The "lacquer" that is sold in most stores now (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) are all acrylic and will work well enough. The trouble that may come up is that acrylic paint is relatively soft and flexible.

frazettafan

Liquitex makes a clear gloss acrylic varnish for brush on. Probaly the same manufacturer as your color paints.

The "lacquer" that is sold in most stores now (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) are all acrylic and will work well enough. The trouble that may come up is that acrylic paint is relatively soft and flexible.

Hey many thanks for that, Wilko! I'll check the Liquitex clear out as I think they make pretty good paints. I'm going to spray it on or maybe get someone more qualified than me to do it for me. The paint seems pretty firm but I know what you mean , it needs to be handled with kid gloves really until it's coated and then that needs to dry out for a while too I guess.

It's great to hear from you anyway. I hope all is well and you're still in love with your '56 conversion? šŸ˜œIt's been a long while since you had that done, is it still your main guitar?

frazettafan

Wish I could help, but my Fool SG replica was airbrushed and then nitro lacquer sprayed over the paint.

Have to tried calling someone like Lay's Guitar Shop in Ohio to ask?

And Scumback, I have a mate who lives near them and they are going to nip in there and ask for me in about a weeks time, thanks again!