• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Push/pull knob(s) - phase and coil split

matsan

Hi there, and thanks for reading my first post!

I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Honeyburst 2008 that I bought back in 2009. At that time I worked part time as an operator at an aluminum plant every holiday as much as I could, and used all my money on this fine guitar. I'm a big fan of Peter Green and Duane Allman, so this guitar has given me lots of inspiration. However, the guitar doesn't have the out-of-phase tone of Green, and that's something I'd like to mod.

The Fadeds have got braided two-conductor Bursbucker Pros. To do the out-of-phase-mod I have bought a 4-conductor Burstbucker 2. The next purchase will then be a push-pull-pot to switch the new pickup in and out of phase with one of the remaining Burstbucker Pros. I have not decided whether to put it in bridge or neck, but I'd like to have it in neck and also be able to split the coils in this BB2, so that it plays like a single coil. This is where my knowledge stops the progress of the project.

What kind of pots should I get? I guess I need two push-pull-pots to do both of these mods? Do I need a capacitor for the single coil mod? Wiring diagram would be very appreciated!

To wrap it up: The big master plan is to use the 4 conductor Burstbucker 2 in neck together with the 2-conductor Burstbucker Pro in bridge, and be able to switch the neck's phase and also switch it into a single coil with push-pull pots in volume neck and tone neck. Is this do-able? :)

Cheers,
Mats
Norway
:2zone

Last edited:

EpiLP1985

Hi there, and thanks for reading my first post!

I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Honeyburst 2008 that I bought back in 2009. At that time I worked part time as an operator at an aluminum plant every holiday as much as I could, and used all my money on this fine guitar. I'm a big fan of Peter Green and Duane Allman, so this guitar has given me lots of inspiration. However, the guitar doesn't have the out-of-phase tone of Green, and that's something I'd like to mod.

The Fadeds have got braided two-conductor Bursbucker Pros. To do the out-of-phase-mod I have bought a 4-conductor Burstbucker 2. The next purchase will then be a push-pull-pot to switch the new pickup in and out of phase with one of the remaining Burstbucker Pros. I have not decided whether to put it in bridge or neck, but I'd like to have it in neck and also be able to split the coils in this BB2, so that it plays like a single coil. This is where my knowledge stops the progress of the project.

What kind of pots should I get? I guess I need two push-pull-pots to do both of these mods? Do I need a capacitor for the single coil mod? Wiring diagram would be very appreciated!

To wrap it up: The big master plan is to use the 4 conductor Burstbucker 2 in neck together with the 2-conductor Burstbucker Pro in bridge, and be able to switch the neck's phase and also switch it into a single coil with push-pull pots in volume neck and tone neck. Is this do-able? :)

Cheers,
Mats
Norway
:2zone

My absolute favorite combination of modifications for a Les Paul guitar is Reverse Phase (either neck magnet flipped or electrically reversed) and a series/parallel switch on the bridge pickup. Switching to parallel bridge pickup with reverse phase kicked in gives a really meaty Peter Green type OOP tone that I really love.

I drew up a diagram for you showing the wiring. It's shown with DPDT switches but it applies to the push/pull pots as well. I also am assuming your bridge pickup has 4-conductor wiring as well (I know it doesn't but it makes the wiring simpler).

50s (2V-2T PP OOP and S-P).jpg

As an alternative, you could swap the bridge and neck pickups. If you flip the magnet in the 2-conductor pickup and place it in the neck, you'll get your reverse phase in the middle position and then you can wire the 4 conductor pickup for Series/Parallel in the bridge.