• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Danger Burst CC #45

sws1

Here 'tis:

I'd never seen that video. I was referring to the guitar in this video. In comparing the videos, you can hear much more of a direct sound in the one, and more of a room sound in the other.

Top Gun

There are GREAT guitars! Here's mine

IMG_0753.jpg

One note solo

Still failng to post pics properly, using imageshack

Attachments

• 34C678B8-CE38-4915-8407-43166C3D6086.jpg
    34C678B8-CE38-4915-8407-43166C3D6086.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

One note solo

Just wanted to do a little update on this, after a few weeks of ownership.

In short, I’ve picked it up every single day and just enjoyed playing.
Having not had a LP for 10 years, I expected to be alternating between the CC and my Fender Custom Shop Tele and Strat, both of which are great guitars. I also have a lovely Huber Krautster II that was my LP substitute.

But having spent some time getting to know the LP, with different amps and working the volume and tone controls on the guitar, it is absolutely blowing the rest of the collection away. I’m being more creative, and getting more enjoyable and more varied sounds out of my amps, than I have for years.

I’ve spent a lot of time going through different threads on this forum, reading some pretty vitriolic comments about the cost-versus-value of the various aged / relic’d models; and I don’t want to claim any “better” tones than I would have got from a ‘normal’ R9 or other (slightly) less expensive historic LPs. I have no doubt that I would enjoy those models as much. Although I do still like the fact that the CC’s aging means that I worry less about putting another small ding in the bodywork than I would with a LP that was pristine on arrival.

One thing I did notice was that, with 10.5-guage strings on the LP, my strat and my tele, I found it a bit of a struggle playing (bending notes) on the strat after playing the LP for a week. The scale length definitely makes a difference in feel, although I still think my strat sounds better with 10.5s than it did with 10s.

So, in summary, I’m absolutely in love with the CC #45. It’s a beautiful looking, beautiful playing guitar, and I would recommend that anyone try a CC model if funds allow. It really does feel “played in” and that makes for a wonderful ownership experience.

I didn’t buy it because of any snobbery or even a desire to have a LP that is supposed to be closer to a ‘59 than anything else. As the real veterans on this forum have said, play a few and pick the one that speaks to you, and don’t kick people who opt for the slightly more expensive CCs. I couldn’t try mine before I bought it, but no regrets.

Here’s to many more years of all of us enjoying all of these fairly high end LPs.

sws1

Just wanted to do a little update on this, after a few weeks of ownership.

In short, I’ve picked it up every single day and just enjoyed playing.
Having not had a LP for 10 years, I expected to be alternating between the CC and my Fender Custom Shop Tele and Strat, both of which are great guitars. I also have a lovely Huber Krautster II that was my LP substitute.

But having spent some time getting to know the LP, with different amps and working the volume and tone controls on the guitar, it is absolutely blowing the rest of the collection away. I’m being more creative, and getting more enjoyable and more varied sounds out of my amps, than I have for years.

I’ve spent a lot of time going through different threads on this forum, reading some pretty vitriolic comments about the cost-versus-value of the various aged / relic’d models; and I don’t want to claim any “better” tones than I would have got from a ‘normal’ R9 or other (slightly) less expensive historic LPs. I have no doubt that I would enjoy those models as much. Although I do still like the fact that the CC’s aging means that I worry less about putting another small ding in the bodywork than I would with a LP that was pristine on arrival.

One thing I did notice was that, with 10.5-guage strings on the LP, my strat and my tele, I found it a bit of a struggle playing (bending notes) on the strat after playing the LP for a week. The scale length definitely makes a difference in feel, although I still think my strat sounds better with 10.5s than it did with 10s.

So, in summary, I’m absolutely in love with the CC #45. It’s a beautiful looking, beautiful playing guitar, and I would recommend that anyone try a CC model if funds allow. It really does feel “played in” and that makes for a wonderful ownership experience.

I didn’t buy it because of any snobbery or even a desire to have a LP that is supposed to be closer to a ‘59 than anything else. As the real veterans on this forum have said, play a few and pick the one that speaks to you, and don’t kick people who opt for the slightly more expensive CCs. I couldn’t try mine before I bought it, but no regrets.

Here’s to many more years of all of us enjoying all of these fairly high end LPs.

Always great when you find a guitar that speaks to you. Congrats.

Bruce R

Yes, so glad to hear that you purchased a guitar that really inspires you. This is paramount in a guitar. I have a few Gibsons and a few Fenders (I never knew when or when not to use apostrophes) and have a Strat that I have never really "bonded" with. Of course I once owned a '55 Strat that was stolen in the early 80's, so that may have something to do with it!

Anyway - enjoy that CC!

One note solo

Yes, so glad to hear that you purchased a guitar that really inspires you. This is paramount in a guitar. I have a few Gibsons and a few Fenders (I never knew when or when not to use apostrophes) and have a Strat that I have never really "bonded" with. Of course I once owned a '55 Strat that was stolen in the early 80's, so that may have something to do with it!

Anyway - enjoy that CC!

Well said. Sorry to hear about the ‘55 Strat; I can see how that might put a downer on future Strat ownership!

I would also like to confirm that your usage of - or, in this case, decision to abstain from - the much-abused humble apostrophe was entirely correct!

One note solo

One thing that has struck me about playing this guitar is how much time I spend in the middle position, tweaking the volume and tone knobs for different parts of songs.

I’ve been watching Youtube reviews of Les Pauls, or particulary LPs being used to demo pedals and amps, for years, and they nearly always flip between the so-called ‘classic’ sounds of neck or bridge.

I was watching a video just yesterday from Andertons, a UK music shop who consistently put out some amazing content, and Rob Chapman - a very good guitarist who owns a LP among many others - spent a few minutes playing a GBP5k reissue (Andertons do their own version with a push-pull pot to emulate the Peter Green out of phase sound). He didn’t use the middle position once. I see this on so many different videos.

To some extent it also happens with Strats bridge (the ‘SRV’ sound etc) or neck (everything else), despite the fact that some classic and funky tones are to be found elsewhere (Sweet Home Alabama is position 2, bridge and middle, on a Strat as far as I’m concerned).

This probably belongs on a separate thread. I’m loving the unloved middle position on the CC. Maybe I should start a PR campaign, or should it be a well-kept secret for people who own and play these guitars on a regular basis....

LeonC

Part of why I love Greg Koch's demos of Les Pauls (hell...everything else too) -- he always demos all three positions.

Middle pickup at 2:08