• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anybody Like 90's Strats?

zoommutt

Anybody Like 90's American Standard Strats?

I know a lot of people don't like the swimming pool routes, some made with with poplar instead of alder wood, and different boxy shape. Does anyone have a 90's strat they love.
I'm talking about the American Standards made in the 90's.

Last edited:

garywright

I'm not very familiar with models that have a swimming pool route ..but my '99 aztec gold 57 ri is an excellent guitar and has conventional pup routes.

zoommutt

I'm not very familiar with models that have a swimming pool route ..but my '99 aztec gold 57 ri is an excellent guitar and has conventional pup routes.

This is the first time I've been to this area of LPF.I panicked ,LOL, I meant American Standard Strats.

dez

I had a bunch of 90s Strats in the 90s but havent had any for years now. I had a CS Classic Player that was cool but a bit too heavy , and a few MiMs that were good but ended up sold or traded. I've been using a 2004 AS Strat since '04 and and EJ Strat since '05 and they arent going anywhere anytime soon.

sikoniko

My first 'real' guitar was a '93 American standard strat. I no longer have it, but I sold it to a friend.

Progrocker111

Sry, but i nearly hate them. I have had some and played many, they are mostly very anemic sounding to me, kinda plastic with dull pickups and weak dynamics. I have played many much better sounding Mexican ones than these American Standards. Even many late 70s heavy Strats have better and more articulate tone to me.

Don

Re: Anybody Like 90's American Standard Strats?

I know a lot of people don't like the swimming pool routes, some made with with poplar instead of alder wood, and different boxy shape.

Don't forget the veneered top and back on the sunburst models!

I had a '93 and '96 Strat and '95 Tele, all purchased new. The '93 Strat was just so-so- it played well enough but its tone was kinda "flat", the '96 Strat was a really good guitar and the '95 Tele was good in a smoother kind of way than a Vintage Tele.

Overall, I think Fender had a higher percentage of good guitars produced in the '90s than in the '70s.

Pickdropper

I bought a Strat Plus in '93 and had nothing but neck problems with it. Bought another neck and it also had problems. Third one is OK, but I've been a lot happier after putting a Warmoth neck on it.

Haven't had problems with the necks on any of my other instruments.

I've actually changed so many parts on that thing, I refer to is as a "Strat Minus."

zoommutt

I have read that Fender used poplar instead of alder with veneer tops, and that on their ash strats they used alder with ash tops and backs.Has anybody heard that about ash strats , or is it an internet myth? My 93 is black with maple neck,and my 97 is ash with rosewood neck.I still love them.

sonar

I learned to play on an '89/'90 AM Strat, which ended up getting smashed up on a concrete floor when my bass player and I went at it. I still have the body somewhere.

Anyway, I've owned a number of Strats since - MIJ to AVRI... all sold. Either I haven't found a suitable replacement for that particular Strat, or I just don't like the model.

slammintone

I like them! Had a grafitti yellow 1989 or 1990 American Standard that had a sweet neck, zero flaws in construction and some fine stock pickups. There was nothing on that guitar that I ever wanted to change or mod. Yes it had the bathtub route and yes the body edges were somewhat squared off but, it smoked any Strats Id had previously including a 1987 '57 Mary Kaye RI and a natural finished 1979 Stratocaster.