• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best bang for the buck NEW acoustics? Under $1000

slimdave

Hi there.

I have to buy 3 acoustic guitars for a new music school I'm designing. My budget is about $3000 for the 3 of them. But it would be great to stay under that. It's important that I buy new (owner's request). What would you suggest? I want to buy instruments that can work as professional tools.

I will go this afternoon to GC Orlando to check out what they have.

Thanks

fender69

Though GC doesn't carry them, look at Eastman guitars. Though made in China ( sigh) they are very well crafted instruments using excellent quality materials and the tops (in the case of my two) are shot with nitro not poly - hence the finish checking (oh well). Very good guitars.

slimdave

Hi. Thanks for the tip. After playing 15 guitars I finally found a nice Taylor, a nice Martin and a nice Spanish style Cordoba. These 3 give me enough sonic and visual variety.

davidd

Eastman are great but most of them top $1000 new. Recording King, Loar, Blueridge, Yamaha have some great models under $1K. Yamaha LL16 dreads are really nice and can be had for $750 or less.

Three13

Recording King is usually my favorite for under $1,000, but Blueridge just started making a 14-fret OOO with a body that is the same shape as the old Martin 12-fret OOOs. I played one and it blew my mind - one of the best sounding new acoustic guitars I've ever heard at $500.

I A/Bd it against a bunch of new Martins and it buried them all.

Don

Recording King is usually my favorite for under $1,000, but Blueridge just started making a 14-fret OOO with a body that is the same shape as the old Martin 12-fret OOOs. I played one and it blew my mind - one of the best sounding new acoustic guitars I've ever heard at $500.

I A/Bd it against a bunch of new Martins and it buried them all.

Which model is that? I'd love to have a Martin 000 but if I could get a guitar for under $1000 I'd get to have my cake and eat it, too.

RnB

Since I repairs guitars some, I had a fellow bring in an Oscar Schmidt 12-string for a bridge lifting repair (He had strung the all the bass strings w/ heavy gauged strings :hmm ). After a re-glue & set up, I played the guitar & was taken by how well it sounded.

I checked ebay & Amazon for pricing to see what the cost might be since I've never owned a 12-string. I couldn't believe it. $188.00 shipped w/ great reviews for an OD312CE model w/ active electronics (like the one in for repair). 12-string acoustics can fill up a room w/ plenty of sound. MIC...but still, a value instrument & a PITA to tune. OD312CE
IIRC: it comes in 3 different finishes. For me, a black one would work. :jim

Last edited:

RNELEE

I have had my Canadian Seagull for some 14 years and for students I would think their guitars would be plenty good enough. That being said things may have changed over the years. I think the base model Seagulls go for about 400 or so each.

Three13

Which model is that? I'd love to have a Martin 000 but if I could get a guitar for under $1000 I'd get to have my cake and eat it, too.

I transposed things - it is a 14-fret style body with a twelve fret neck - its a BR-162.

Three13

My experience with most of the better Chinese guitars is that they are greatly improved by a comprehensive pro setup.

Three13

Just tried a BR-142 (mahogany) which was a monster too - if I bought new guitars, I'd be sorely tempted.

Y

yeti

The BlueRidge guitars I've seen are very impressive. Saw a guy join a jam session with what looked like a BR D-45-ish guitar and it was easily the loudest guitar up there, including resonators. Sounded great too.

davidd

I have a BR160-A2. All EIR solid back and sides with a adi top. Nice guitar but can't hang at all with my 1990 Martin D16M (which is nothing like todays D16 bolt on necked version). It sounds somewhat weak and wimpy by comparison. The Martin I was able to find used a couple of years ago for $625. Easily as good as any D18 I have had. Used is my preference these days unless the warranty is something you contemplate needing down the road. For a grand you can get a great used acoustic.