• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE AMP

ourmaninthenorth

That's a good question, unfortunately the answer is less than satisfactory. I A/B'd them exhaustively, using the same Mullard valve sets, and simply preferred the Hiwatt, although I think familiarity had more to do with it than finding overt tonal differences between the two. Interestingly the wiring was neater on the Hiwatt, although Mr Joyce could be forgiven for not being as neat on the later amp, he was rather advanced in years at the time, I'd only rate the neatness at about 9.5!! :rofl

It's always terrific to see these old, beautiful amps.

Enjoy in good health :salude

herb

Fender Blackface Super, Vibrolux and Twin Reverbs. I don't own any of these amps now but have in the past. These amps produce my favorite tones combined with a LP.

I'm currently suffering from a strong case of nostalgia and am keeping my eyes open for a Blackface Vibrolux Reverb.

becks bolero

That fuckin' thing IS safe inside an' PROPERLY grounded, RIGHT?! :ganz ... Please, don't make me find you an' kick you in the balls after you've been electrocuted/set on fire! :hee .. :wah

haha, yes. in fact it will only run on 220v so I need to use a step up transformer, too. but the bulgin mains is gone, it's standard 3 prong now

I wouldn't say it's safe though....every time I play it I lose my mind :dude:

Kenny I love that Reinhardt stack :headbange

oldflame

Thanks, oldflame.
Why did you pick that model over the CC signature? (If you don't mind me asking)

To be honest, I didn't have a choice. At the time, it was the only one available down here in Australia. I heard it and just have to have it so that was good enough for me.

marshall1987

Reinhardt 18 through a MojoTone BluesBreaker style extension cabinet loaded with a Celestion Heritage G12-20 Greenback.

IMG_0090.jpg

SFK

Les Paul Forum Member
1974 Superlead 100 (with ppiv master volume)
JCM 900 1960 B with GT 75s

405229394.jpg

slammintone

Here's my all time favorite, a 1987 JCM800 2204 I got from Marks Guitar Loft!

2011_09_20_EOS_1511.jpg

And here, next to my JCM800 head is a Marshall 2204 clone, totally handwired and built by a good buddy of mine which blows my 2204 away and pretty much every other Marshall, real or otherwise I've ever heard.

2011_09_27_EOS_1553Large.jpg

PeterLC

Currently a Fender Blues Deluxe (Mex) with a mid-90's Matchless HotBox. Absolutely stunning together. Gives me 4 channels, too. The Fender's build quality is not the same as their US cousins', but tonewise, it's faultless. The HotBox is a re-acquirement - sold the first one and am very glad to have found a similar one back. The chrome shows enough battle-scars to prove it's been someone else's favorite, for sure. Replaced the mish-mash non-matching tube-choice by the previous (second) owner with decent NOS ECC83 by Philips. The Fender runs on its stock GT's.

Camera died a few weeks back so I might add pics later!