• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

52-59 Conversion, Amazing 2 piece Plain Top

JP'59

When did you get this Rob?? You never told me at work about this one. You always amaze me brother! I want to play it.....Merry Christmas my friend! :jim

Kanga Blue

The '59 Burst Replica that Jim built arrived tonight and after playing it for about three hours I feel compelled to write a report.

Jim's replica sustains forever and has a much, much wider range of tones. There are many tones that I've never heard from one Les Paul before. The low notes are tight and clear. It can get a woody, hollow midrange tone and a snappy highs. I played it thru a CAE OD-100, a blackface Pro Reverb, a Glaswerks SOD II, an Ampeg GU-12, a Marshall and a Quinn SDO. When played thru a overdriven amp the notes ring clear and cut thru. It still retains it's character. The difference is not subtile. It's a big difference! By comparison, the Gibson sounds dull and muddy. The David Allen Tom Cat Zebra PAF's are hotter than the Sheptone's and at first I thought I wouldn't like them. I realized that they just widen the palate. They still clean up nicely but can get much hotter. My favorite setting is both PUs on with the tones rolled back slightly. I'm able to get so much variety by blending the volumes against each other.

Hi Rob if you are the owner/receiver of the converted guitar in this thread why are you comparing your R9 with Sheptones with David Allen pickups? It sound like David Allen pickups are now in the guitar after Jim installed original vintage PAFs? I am confused. As a reference a great set of PAFs will drastically alter the tone of the guitar far more than other things. :dude:

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
I was a little confused about the pickup comments too! But I can identify with the flexibility of high output pickups. My 1960 has medium output, sounds great and flexible with the volumes all the way up. The 59 is not as subtle, hot as heck. With both volumes all the way up there's not a lot of subtlety, but start adjusting them down and it can do all the things the 60 can.

Jim, GREAT work turning a decent guitar into a stellar one! And Robb, while the natural back isn't a typical choice, it looks really good on this guitar. Congrats on getting a life long keeper!

jimmi

I started doing this on my conversions and offered to my customers as an option. IMOP I like the square plug instead of 3 dowels.

From so mahogany I got in the 80's.

I think I am in the camp with liking the dowels over the plug. Even if you match the grain, you still get the edges. Jmho as the rest looks great.

boogieongtr

I think I am in the camp with liking the dowels over the plug. Even if you match the grain, you still get the edges. Jmho as the rest looks great.

I agree. I stopped using the plug about 3 years ago.

sws1

What's the difference between a dowel and a plug? I always thought they were the same thing. Apparently not.

J.D.

In regards to this thread, the "plug" would be the rectangular piece of mahogany whereas the "dowels" would be three little round pieces of mahogany.

boogieongtr

The last conversion I did had 5 end holes to fill.

>