• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Herco Picks - Questions

Garcia

I've just recently been getting into these after picking one up at a show. I had a little pick mishap, dropped mine and somehow picked this one up off the floor instead. Ha! It still had life left to it so I used it the rest of the set and then picked some up at the shop to do a little more research.

I'm pretty pleased with them, how they feel and how they sound. After doing a little searching online I've found that they are used by many and have been for quite some time including Sir Page. And somehow I've never heard of them until now...

What do you guys think of them?
Do you prefer the Silver 75's or the Gold 50's?
And lastly, I read somewhere that Dunlop doesn't manufacture these in the same way that Herco did back in the day. Is that true?
Does anyone know if the original Herco was Nylon or if it was Celluloid material?
Does anyone here happen to have a nice vintage one that they could sell me or better yet give me?

Thank you :)

m bernardi

yes it is true the ones page used in the 70 are not the same as the Dunlap's they were nylon. i have one left.:bug i like the 75s

Sol

I bought Herco 75's a few yrs ago and found them to be the same as the gray Dunlop nylon .88mm.

The Herco's are nylon, what were they in the 70's ?

I went back to the gray nylon Dunlop .88mm as I found that the Herco's had some of the 'overhang' on the picking edge left from the stamping process and had to use a nail file to smooth the playing edge YMMV.

The extra grip on the Herco's was vey good BTW

m bernardi

the nylon now is not like it was in the 70 on count of the EPA. herco selled to dunlop in the 80s

Black58

I like the silver 75s.
They give a darker, chewier attack to the notes which is perfect for certain songs.
I keep one on top of my amp and bounce back and forth between it and a white Fender heavy.

zombiwoof

The Herco's were always nylon, the purists say the Dunlop ones don't sound the same as the originals, maybe they use a different type of nylon now.

Al

DonR

along with page,

Keith urban uses 75's and Neil Young and Jimmy Thackery use 50's. Keith uses the handle part to get more texture in attack. I think the give in the 50's is the perfect weight, and the pick attach is definitely part of the Neil Young tone.

DonR