• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

*WORST* BUILT/MANUFACTURED AMP?

MeHereNow

and how does the above hyperbole makes it 'the worst built/manufactured amp' ?

Sorry, but can you even understand a question written in English?

The Convertibles were top notch amps. Made for people who understood their potential, which were very few because most guitarists don't know jack about their equipment anyways, althought they THINK they do.
You think most guitarists knew about attenuators, EL34 power stages, and modular preamps?

And just one last thing here, for all of you......'the worst built amp' doesn't even EXISTS. - NO MANUFACTURE makes a badly built amp, unless you people think any idiots can just get up in the morning, start a company, and build amps ;)

CHILDREN :) You don't know ANYTHING ;)

It appears you already found what you seek and spreading a ton of it..

Welcome though.

AA00475Bassman

XQhfgBQ.jpg
[/IMG]
That'

s some of the worst BS I have heard. ANYTHING built by Seymour Duncan can NEVER be crap. He's one of these guys who has NEVER made compromises on quality. EVER. The 84-50 was my first and beloved tube amp, and I have been using only tube amps, for 25+ years. I owned a LOT of tube amps. The 84-50 was and IS a great amp, built with some of the HIGHEST standards. The preamp had it's own board, most neat tube preamp with a circuit board I have seen ANYWHERE. The power tube sockets are HANDWIRED, which you find only on top notch amps. Best of all, the 84-50 really is a Marshall with EL84s, I still remember the first time I tried it in the shop against other tube amps, I was struck by the beautiful, natural, warm and aggressive distortion, I fell in love with the 84-50 immediately and brought it home and I was VERY happy.

As for the feedback problem with your 84-50, it doesn't prove that the amp was bad, but ONLY that it had a fault. So what? Anything can fail, unless you have the mind of a 7 years old and you don't know that. Ever heard of amp techs and repairmen? You must be living in la-la land. It's not uncommon for gear to fail, this is not exclusive to the Seymour Duncan amp. Mine worked always as well as a Swiss watch, served me faithfully for many years, continues to work beautifully and proudly sounds better than ever, and still today I regard it as a beautiful amp, built to rock.

''Shortly after I heard a Duncan rep bashing the line calling it one of the worst products he ever had to work with''. Who was that, John Doe? 'Cause I have never heard of that, and if that is true, which I strongly doubt, it's clear he doesn't know anything about amps, which is why he probably got fired. I have a friend who's a tech and he say the 84-50 and told me the build quality is really tidy and neat, especially inside. I myself mod my own amps, and I could only agree with him.

The feedback fault you described actually just sounds like a microphonic tube. Maybe it had nothing to do with the amp itself, and even if it had, so what? No one can buy anything under the claim that it will NEVER malfunction, you won't find that even in Walt Disney movies.

As for the Vibrolux: different price ranges. The 84-50 wasn't made to compete with classic Fender amps, it was made as a high quality mid priced amp. Apples and oranges.

Instead of you people going around talking about things you don't understand, learn something about what you talk about, first.

Because it's clear you have not the SLIGHTEST clue.:eek:la

PS. and before any geniuses moans with 'the thread is old!': well, WHO CARES ;) Thread don't have ultimatums on them ;) Not that I have anything else to add :eek:la
My BS meter broke around the time my blow dryer failed so I'm having a hard time with the truth & my hair . Please chill on my Forum brethren you need a few more posts to act like a Dick like me ! Welcome to the Forum !

BIG Dave

I was given this bizarre looking amp a while back, came in a wooden box, no tolex. Had the name “Trainwreck” on the front. From the back it looked like someone’s science project. Could never get a clean sound out of it except when I turned the volume down on my guitar. I gave up on it and left it on the curb with the rest of the trash. What a pile of a junk that amp was!

(This post was an attempt at comedy).

latestarter

Was it really that bad Grant ?

It really was.

It was great for about 12mths. Then random cut outs....mid gig. Re-valved. No change. New power transformer. Good for about 4 months. Problems again. Valve seats had to be replaced along with caps and some cold solders repaired. Fine for a bit. Circuit board started to warp as it ran too hot. More intermittent issues. I had a two performance a week gig at that stage so it had to go. I purchased a Laney VC212 which was flawless in its performance whilst sounding completely soul-less. I was happy with the trade off at that point, which is saying a lot because the Crate sounded awesome. It was like a tuneable 1974 Marshall.

The last tech that looked at the Crate said "oh yeah, these things are always in here to be fixed." I think Mark Knopfler was their front man. Bet he doesn't use one today!

renderit

and how does the above hyperbole makes it 'the worst built/manufactured amp' ?

Sorry, but can you even understand a question written in English?

The Convertibles were top notch amps. Made for people who understood their potential, which were very few because most guitarists don't know jack about their equipment anyways, althought they THINK they do.
You think most guitarists knew about attenuators, EL34 power stages, and modular preamps?

And just one last thing here, for all of you......'the worst built amp' doesn't even EXISTS. - NO MANUFACTURE makes a badly built amp, unless you people think any idiots can just get up in the morning, start a company, and build amps ;)

CHILDREN :) You don't know ANYTHING ;)

You GO girl!

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

agogetr

Marlboro.
that cracks me up i never thought i would hear of that brand again ha ha
i remember sometime iit seemed like in the early nineties ampeg came out with some real cheap crap. loose knobs ,sounded terrible. my budd had one. i hated it.

BSseeker

Behringer would be up there....

Yes, up there with the BEST of them :) Quality gear at modest prices I bought:

1. Bugera amps, several of them. A Bugera tube amp will sound WAY better than ANY digital simulators, for example AXE Fx.
I tried a 1990 against those digital simulators, the Bugera made mincemeat of it.

2. I have an Onyx mixer. Built REALLY well, sold at modest price.

3. I use a Behringer microphone. Sounds as good as SHURE, for a fraction of the price.

4. I have several Behringer studio headphones. Cheap they are, but their sound is NOT cheap.

What did you say about Behringer? :) Behringer gives the opportunity to serious musicians to own REAL gear, even at a budget. THAT'S Behringer. :) But yes, it's not for snobs with more money than brains who badmouth companies just because they don't sell overpriced products.

jrgtr42

Guessing BSeeker either is a designer of those SD amps, or just a troll. Hard to say which.

For the topic at hand, even though it's a n 8-year dead thread,
Around 2000, the store I worked at got Mesa Boogie as a dealer. 3 out of 4 Rectifier amps that came in had to go back for one reason or another.
The rest of the models were fine, but not the rectos. to this day I wouldn't own one (besides the fact I don't care for the scooped-mid sounds from them.)
There was a series of the Fender Hot Rods that were junk. Most Crate amps were junk.
I'm sure every manufacturer has a few bad amps in their history.

sonar

Guessing BSeeker either is a designer of those SD amps, or just a troll. Hard to say which.

My theory is he bought an 84-50 and did a google search. This thread is one of the first half dozen results with a snippet of my glowing review. Yeah, that says a lot about the regard toward such a wonderful amp. :##

I guess the LPF (a forum I find to have an extremely high level of knowledge) isn't immune to digital outrage and attack.

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
Worst guitar amp? Easy - Fender's infamous solid state amps of the late 60s. CBS rushed these amps into production against the outcry of Fender veterans, many of whom left the company when these amps went to market.

These amps had a horrid reliability record that made Behringers look like choirboys. They blew up, they caught fire, they failed prematurely in every way thanks to poor design, inferior/sloppy assembly, and a hopeless corporate culture that shielded themselves from user feedback. Some would argue that these amps triggered the vintage Fender amp craze. The experience was so bitter that CBS never made another solid state amp under Fender.

How many Fender Libro, Taurus, Scorpio, et al amps do you see these days? Almost zero, as the chances are nil that they would be operational and they would be scavenged for their speakers and the carcass disposed.

Could not agree more with this. Those amps were the worst! I remember when they hit the stores, even as a young and green player I could tell they did not sound good. In that same era, however; the solid state Kustom amps (tuck and roll covering) actually sounded good and offered far greater reliability.