• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wooden block under bridge on '60s ES-125?

MisterMiniMite

What's the deal with this? I see some '60s ES-125s with the wooden (rosewood?) base under the bridge, and others where it just looks like a normal ABR-1 style bridge, with no wooden base block, that screws directly into the guitar?

Was there a year where the ES-125 transitioned away from the wooden base block bridge?

T

Troels

I believe the way the neck is mounted is very different on an ES-125 thinline compared to an ES-125 deep body. On the first type the fingerboard is almost glued down flat on the top as per ES-330 whereas on an ES-125 with a deep body it's much more like an ES-175 with the neck elevated at the heel and angled differently leaving much more space between the top and the strings leaving room for a wooden "bridge base" (which it's called - not a wooden block). On this model the bridge is kept in position by the the string downforce exclusively. On the thinline the string post are screwed into the top. So the type of bridge used is not a matter of when but which type of ES-125 we are talking about (both have ABR1's - but attached differently).

EC335

I have a 1963 ES-125 TC with an ABR-bridge mounted directly into the top, but that’s not original because there is an imprint in the top of a wooden base bridge. So originally this ES 125 TC had the wooden base bridge and was modified later on. As far as I know there is no mention or pictures in Gibson catalogues or guitar books of an ABR directly into an ES 125 top. On my ES 125 TC the fretboard is about 0,56 till 0,65inch above the top. The neck of a full body ES 125 is usually flat down on the top.
However I have seen these guitars on the web (usually 1967...etc.)with an ABR but without the imprint of the wooden base bridge……so mystery not solved???..

Last edited: