• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tell me about 1967 SG Melody Makers?

johnnyL

I'm looking at a '67 SG MM D that is original. The guitar sounds good as it is and is resonant. The neck is surprisingly rounded. Is there enough room to mount a dog ear P-90 to a replacement guard? Are the routes the same as a special or standard? I do not want to tamper with an original guitar.

I have been jonesing for an SG along time.... I would prefer an earlier 60s Junior but may go this route.

What do you think? Can you speculate that the SG MM with a P-90 will lack something in sound compared to an earlier Junior?

Thanks!

John

captaincanada

I've seen that done before. People will put humbuckers in these as well, but I would find a player grade SG instead.

Ham_Fist

All Access/Backstage Pass
The cool thing about SG MM's is that the custom colors like Pelham Blue, Sparkling Burgundy, Cardinal Red etc... were *standard*. I had a Sparkling Burgundy that was faded to an awesome copper. Sold it because I wasn't sure what to do with it.

Then I found out that Lollar makes a custom drop in Melody Maker sized P90. No routing required. He makes the pickguard too. Wish I'd known about these before I sold that guitar! He does make the SG pickguard too, but no picture.

melodymakeroutside.jpg

MMinside.jpg

I also wish I'd known about this before I routed my cheepo '07 Melody Maker. Put a Lollar P90 in that one, and it kills.

Flogger

30 years ago I had a Pelham Blue one that I paid $100 for. the neck was limber like you would not believe. I did horrible things to it before it got stolen.

dlacx

Spankin' guitars!

66MelodyMaker001.jpg

I love this one. I've had many guitars come and go, but this one is a keeper!

slimdave

Necrobump!

I’m gasing on a 67 sg Melody Maker D. What’s the general opinion on them? Sleepers or not worth the hassle?

thanks!

pitfall

I've had a '67 two pickup in Pelham Blue for 19 years now - so it's definitely a keeper!
There's nothing else like it - and the neck profile is amazing. It goes from a shallow 'c' at the nut to a big 'D' by the 12th fret.
The pickups are hotter than standard Fender single coils - I've seen it described as a 'pissed off Tele', which I think is pretty accurate.
I put it through a Boss Ge-7 to boost the midrange when I want a fatter sound.
Looks, sound and playability are all top notch.