• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Introducing Vocals

Triplet

What's a good way to start singing along with playing? I'm not a "natural" at guitar playing, so it seems to be that much more difficult to add vocals... :hmm

Jimmy Murray

You just have to do it. The more you do it, the easier it will get. One day it will seem odd to sing without a guitar in your arms. Promise.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
That's the ticket. It's not as hard as it may seem. On a practical level, start w/a simple song in 4/4 & just strum on the beat as you sing. The more you do that, the better you get. Little by little you will be able to add complexity to your rhythm.

Bluesbreaker59

Les Paul Forum Member
Yep, practice, practice, practice. I used to think singing was the scariest thing ever, and that I'd never be any good at it. Now I sing at least 50% of the songs with my band, and receive way more attention for my singing that I do my guitar playing. Sometimes, if I have a buddy in the crowd, I'll turn the guitar over to him, and just sing, but that does feel funny, just standing there while the solos are happening.

The most important things (IMHO)

1. Know your range on the guitar neck
2. Develop your pitch really well
3. Keep it simple at first, then as time goes by add vocal inflections, etc.
4. Learn the lyrics, really well (I still have issues with this)
5. Stick to songs that have the same rhythm on guitar as the vocals do, like Chuck Berry stuff, etc.

If you have good pitch, you'll be doing well in no time flat, if you figure out how to work a crowd, then you'll really have life by the balls.

Triplet

Thanks guys. I've actually got a pretty good voice, I think it's the "walking and chewing bubble gum at the same time" syndrome.

Looks like I just need to practice. Damn it, more guitar time :jim