• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

the next es339 review - my new toy

boogie92801

Just got mine. None of the issues any one has complained about... in fact this is the nicest new Gibson product out side of the historics I have seen in a while.

Last edited:

Seoighs

Thanks for the post...I've heard such consistently good things about 339's...and leaning toward the 30/60 neck. I wish somebody in my area had them to try out.

dock44

I've got an antique red 59' neck on order. I have two 07 standard faded LPs with 50s necks........I'm assuming I'll want the 59 neck 339.......hope so anyway. :hmm

Goldtop Dude

I've got an antique red 59' neck on order. I have two 07 standard faded LPs with 50s necks........I'm assuming I'll want the 59 neck 339.......hope so anyway. :hmm

Congrats!!---So we both wait-------My guy said mid March!@@##----Oh well --as long as its a great Git----Rock & Roll!!

GTD:2cool

moonweasel

Goldtop dude, who did you order from that they said it would take that long? that sucks!

dock44

I ordered mine at Sweetwater.......it's supposed to be in a week from now or sooner.........we'll see.

hacker

I love my fat neck but I am curious ....

Has anybody had the chance to try both types of necks and care to explain the differences they felt?

I haven't played the 30/60 neck yet but the 2 59 style necks I played were HUGE. My R7Custom used to be my big neck guitar but my 339 is much larger. Of the two I tried they both had slightly different size necks but you have to like them big if you go for that neck.

Goldtop Dude

Goldtop dude, who did you order from that they said it would take that long? that sucks!

GC not MF, as a good friend works there. They seem to be last on the list. But when ever possible I buy from him. Thanks for the concern and response----I do want that AX!!

BTW, my email subscribe function is not working.#$$%%--hope to get both fix'd soon!

Thanks again,
GTD:2cool

ampLP

If any of you guys are even thinking about getting one of these..DO IT.

Got my carmel burst a few days ago...perfect setup...perfect fit & finish....fretwork is spot on & can honestly not find a flaw anywhere on this guitar & sounds and plays KILLER. The 59 neck is a bit fatter than my R7 and I love it. No problen with the case fit at all...neck rests where it should.

Good job Gibson...now excuse me while I fire up the Mesa and blow the doors off the house.:2zone

J T

If any of you guys are even thinking about getting one of these..DO IT.

Got my carmel burst a few days ago...perfect setup...perfect fit & finish....fretwork is spot on & can honestly not find a flaw anywhere on this guitar & sounds and plays KILLER. The 59 neck is a bit fatter than my R7 and I love it. No problen with the case fit at all...neck rests where it should.

Good job Gibson...now excuse me while I fire up the Mesa and blow the doors off the house.:2zone

Careful you'll begin to ignore your other guitars

:dude:

dock44

WOW WOW and WOW!! :bigal So I've had my order for a red 59 neck 339 in with Sweetwater. The links for all finishes have been up for order for while. Checked again yesterday to see if they had come in and all 339 links were gone. Sent an email inquiring and got a call back this morning. Sweetwater can't get any 339s....Gibson won't sell them to Sweetwater. They are an exclusive for GC, MF, GS etc.

Guess I'll give Guitar Sale a ringading.

Last edited:

workknot

I have had my ES 339 with the 30/60 neck for about 2 months now. It had plenty of issues when it arrived. The setup was non existant. Nut was very high and the bridge had not even been adjusted because the strings were 1/4 inch off the neck at the 12th fret. This is from the Custom Shop and they must not do any inspection before sending these guitars out. The back of the neck was so badly Orange Peel that I had to wet sand it and then buff it back out. The neck trim ring was on backwards and there just is no excuse for that. The bridge did not have a radius in it to match the fretboard. The double cutaway is to small for normal sized hands which makes playing high on the neck very difficult. I will say the sound and tone from this guitar is what I have been looking for. Workmanship and quality control is extremely bad. I suggest not buy online but go to a dealer and do a hands on inspection before spending this much on a guitar.
Regards; Pop's

Bluespower

Les Paul Forum Member
I'm bringing back an old thread...
A few years back, I had a cherry red ES 339 with Tone Pro upgrades and SD Antiquities, 59 neck. Loved it but couldn't get it to measure up, in a tone full way, to my R9 with Antiquities though my Allen Old Flame. So, sold it. Sadly.

Now, I picked up an ES339 Traditionl Pro with 57s, push/pull pots, up to 10db adjustable booster, no F holes, locking Grovers.. It arrives in 2 days. Hoping for the best, I tried one a few years ago and like the way it felt and sounded.

Any one have an ES339 Traditional Pro.. ?

PS, I already have a 1968 ES335, an '03 R9 LP, and an '08 faded cherry LP Studio. I'm thinking this will fit in nicely.