• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Charlie Daniels Marshall Tucker Outlaws - Tampa 5/11/07

mmcquain

Did anybody make the show last night at the Ford Amphitheatre in Tampa for the VOlunteer Jam 2007 tour? I thought it was great overall. And there were lots of Les Pauls and Strats on display... always a good thing!!! I just wish I'd brought my digital camera since the crappy on in my cell phone didn't get anything decent enough to post. :wah

The Outlaws opened with an hour set that included a few new songs (should play well with some of the modern country fans... kinda like last year's VanZant CD). Huey and Chris were great as always (deem boys can PLAY!) The sound was pretty good where I was (orchestra section, 11th row, center stage) but got a little muddy during "Waterhole" and a couple of songs (but was better in time for "Green Grass, Hide Tides". One thing I noticed was there was more slide guitar playing than in past shows I've seen. Christ played slide on several songs and Huey took a turn on slide as well. Chris primarily played his red Les Paul but broke out the PRS later (more on that below). Huey stuck with his Strats. You can view details on their gear (with nice close photos and info on pickups, controls, etc.) at: http://www.OutlawsWorld.com
One big thing that struck me was that Huey played through 2 Peavey combos (couldn't see the models but they looked like the black Peavey Classics?) and, are you ready, a POD - not 1 but 2 PODs were in his setup (a "bean" like the POD 2.0 and the rack-mount Pro version). In the past when I've seen him, he's had a setup of a couple of vintage Fender amps but no Fender in sight for him this time around. Chris has a Dr. Z and another amp but I couldn't see it well from my view.

Marshall Tucker was up next with some nice bluesy solos (a kickin' version of "Ramblin" that start out as a slow blues and then rocked it out at the end) and a cool version of "Can't You See" that featured St. Petersburg, FL mayor Rick Baker on acoustic guitar (apparently he's a big fan and has been on stage with them before when they played St. Pete). The weakest part of the show was Doug Gray's vocals (he's getting old) but the guitar work by Chris Hicks (Heritage Les Paul) and Clay Cook (pedal steel and a nice Historic Les Paul flametop) was great. Also, Stuart Swanlund (slide guitar/Strat) and the organ/keys/flute/sax of David Muse was very nice. The set list was standard MTB, but was kept to about an hour (vs. the 2-3 hours of old MTB shows).

Charlie Daniels was his usual "on fire" self with a set list that ranged from "In America" to "How Great Thou Art" and hits like "Trudy", "Long Haired Country Boy" and "Legend Of Wooly Swamp". He moved up his usual set closer of "Devil Went Down To Georgia" to allow some 'watermelon jamming' (as the late Toy caldwell would say). The Outlaws and Marshall Tucker guys came back out for the show closer of "The South's Gonna' Down It Again". Everybody got a turn to solo but the sound on this last song was a little uneven (I think the soundman was struggling to get everybody mic'd and in the mix "on the fly"). When he wasn't playing fiddle, Charlie mainly played his flametop Les Paul but broke out a white Tele and a Chet Atkins acoustic electric for a couple of tunes. He played something else on "How Great Thou Art" but I can't remember now what it was. The other guys played a mix of Strat, Music Man, etc. I must mention Charlie's drummer, who did a great solo with some nice bass foot pedal work (while chugging a beer at one point!). The band was very tight (as you would expect from CDB).

All in all, a very good show. If you get a chance to see it I highly recommend it. Whether you're a Southern/Classic Rock fan or a Country fan, there's something in the show for everyone. Oh, and if anybody was there and got any good pics then please post 'em here... thanks!

G

Gary C.

Sounds like fun.
I've never gotten to see any of those guys.
I LOVE Charlie Daniels.

DanLapp

Isn't Marshall Tucker sort of a shell of the original guys? I know it's a tragic story about Toy and his brothers...who's left of the originals? I saw them out here in California at a college around '74 and they were great.

mmcquain

Isn't Marshall Tucker sort of a shell of the original guys? I know it's a tragic story about Toy and his brothers...who's left of the originals? I saw them out here in California at a college around '74 and they were great.

Doug Grey (vocals) is the only original member. I don't know what was up with his voice but hopefully he can get over it since his is one of the most unique voices around. Good bunch of players they have in the current line-up. However, the originals with Toy, etc. are still the best (I saw 'em in about 1980 and it was an amazing show).

bluesjuke

And now Huey is gone too.