• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gary Rossington Les Pauls...Keep 'em Stock?

Browneyes

Remember the rule of thumb: Once you see a thread with three pages or more, a pissin match erupts.

It seems to me that no matter what the subject matter civility is absent after a brief time. If it isnt spamming concerns, difference of opinion, or just being an ass, page three is where you can count on something going off topic. (not calling anyone an ass, but you know what I mean).

To answere the OP's thread question here is my two cents.

You dont modify a Rossington unless you want to compromise the value if you ever decide to sell. If its your desert island guitar, then have at it. But I have seen the most loyal of Rossington owners sell over time, me included. (still have one). I have been told by a dealer friend of mine "leave it the fuck alone", couldnt have made it more clear. I sell everything sooner or later.

The lacquer thing is a fable that has run its course here on the forum, Murphy himself has denied any use of special sauce on these guitars, and believe me I wish there was so I could get more dough on resale when I sold mine. That and the infamous brazilian board theory, which can not be verified by any Gibson authorized person.

Here is a question for anyone cares,seeing as we are off topic anyway.

Do you act differently here than on other forums?

I certainly have, much more argumentative, and confrontational than on other forums. I believe it is due to a few things.

The elitist forum brothers that think they know everything, and most times they probably do.

The guys that know just enough to be dangerous like me.

And the idiots that dont know shit but think they do, that could be me as well.:)

On other Rossington threads I found myself getting personal with one poster, who doesnt really care for these guitars. It was pointed out to me, and I realized that I wouldnt respond with such animosity on other forums. But here, it is kind of the way things are. You will get your wings clipped by almost anyone, for any reason.

I am not preaching to anyone on how to act, do whatever you want. Its a free country, at least for a little while longer anyway.

But geezuz it would be nice to be nicer, wouldnt it?

If not go fuck yourself..........sorry I couldnt resist.:)

No George I didnt call you an ass, the go fuck youself was meant for you:peace2

HOW DARE YOU SIR?!!?!?:ha

Danny

Les Paul Forum Member, Formerly Musicinmysoul
SAM_1088.jpg

...Twilight? Seriously?

Shame.

Lenny

We haven't talked about Rossingtons in a while. Mine is the go-to guitar to record leads (on 10) but I find the original pots (I have the ones with the Gibson logo and the tiny caps) lose too much treble and bite when the volume is rolled off. It could just be the caps on right lug wiring that's guilty of that effect.
Has anyone successfully modified theirs in order to hold better treble at Skynyrd-style "rhythm" volumes (5-7)?

guitarzanz

Gary's "Berniece" had the head stock broke clean off and somebody fixed it with two screws. I heard tell that they put just the screw heads on those to make them look just like Gary's does. Does the "professionally aged" re-issues actually have two screw heads on the head stock of these?

Lenny

Gary's "Berniece" had the head stock broke clean off and somebody fixed it with two screws. I heard tell that they put just the screw heads on those to make them look just like Gary's does. Does the "professionally aged" re-issues actually have two screw heads on the head stock of these?

They don't. Mine actually had a broken headstock but it was glued back without any problem, maybe I should have asked the luthier to throw in a couple of screws just for the show.

guitarzanz

Somebody told me that the R9 Gary Rossington '59 Burst has those two fixer screw heads on the "pro. aged" reissues. There would be one black Philips screw on either side of the truss-rod cover. Maybe I was misinformed by a liar.

guitarzanz

Just very curious about these Gibson "professionally aged" Les Pauls and Fender's "road worn" look guitars. I saw them and just couldn't believe someone would pay for a guitar deliberately beat up. What is it? Trying to make other folks think, "Wow man, he/she must have played the shit out of that guitar." Hell no, I just bought it brand new. It's like buying a car like some famous person had, but with all the dents and dings and scratches and rust on it. Wouldn't a Les Paul in new condition be better if YOU wore it out like that instead? It's like getting a girlfriend and having a plastic surgeon make her look like she was rode hard and put away wet...I just don't get it.

Last edited:

guitarzanz

I checked out the R9's and they do in fact have the two repair screw HEADS on them. There is a black Philips screw on both sides of the truss rod cover. Actually, they look legit, part of the guitar sorta. I'm not sure what purpose two screws on either side of the TRC would serve, except maybe to repair a head stock that broke off. Maybe some have them and some don't, but I just can't see that if they're trying to make it a spitting image of Gary Rossington's '59 Les Paul "Berniece", which is unplayable today. It was likely a beauty before Gary played it to death. Apparently some old boyfriend of Gary's then girlfriend just left her and left behind his '59 Les Paul. Gary got it for some cunnilingus I'm guessing. Just sayin' eh.

guitarzanz

Those old Gibson tuners musta sucked because my '57 Gibson J 50 had Grover tuners replace the stock tuners over the years before I bought it.

sharky

this is how the Rossi's headtsock looks like and it is the imitation of a headstock repair that has been done to Gary's original guitar

2002_Gibson_Rossington_59_Les_Paul_Standard_headstock_front-478x648.jpg

jimmyace2006

Just very curious about these Gibson "professionally aged" Les Pauls and Fender's "road worn" look guitars. I saw them and just couldn't believe someone would pay for a guitar deliberately beat up. What is it? Trying to make other folks think, "Wow man, he/she must have played the shit out of that guitar." Hell no, I just bought it brand new. It's like buying a car like some famous person had, but with all the dents and dings and scratches and rust on it. Wouldn't a Les Paul in new condition be better if YOU wore it out like that instead? It's like getting a girlfriend and having a plastic surgeon make her look like she was rode hard and put away wet...I just don't get it.

A lot of people will buy them. And the ones that are aged by Tom Murphy tend to hold their value better than ones that are not aged.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180337

sharky

A lot of people will buy them. And the ones that are aged by Tom Murphy tend to hold their value better than ones that are not aged.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180337

the Rossis are the best example that they can appreciate in value. IIRC, the street price back then was something around 3 k. Rossis sell for 8 - 10 k nowadays

and here is Gibson's press release from 2002, including some of the specs: http://www.gibson.com/press/namm/rossington.html

guitarzanz

Yes, I new it. Some guy replied back saying his R9 didn't have any "repair screws" that he could see. Well, when I saw pictures of his R9, the truss rod cover had not two screws, top & bottom, but four. Top, bottom , ride side and left side. I guess he thought that little bell shaped piece of plastic required four screws to hold it on good. Hell, when I get my R9, I'm gonna put a screw side by side, all the way around the TRC. Can never have too many screws on the TRC eh? LMARFO. The guy did say he was inexperienced though, and I thought I was the most inexperienced. I guess he wasn't as big a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan as me, and didn't do as much research on the best band on earth PERIOD. Take care sharky. Keep on pikin' & grinnin' eh.

AA00475Bassman

I am the proud owner of a real nice factory stock Gary Rossington Les Paul (GR 2XX), and see no reason to change anything on it. I love it just the way it is. The Murphy aging job is amazing and very realistic. The guitar has tone to die for, even with the Burstbucker #2 and #3 pickups (which I actually like). The wood used on this guitar is very alive and resonant (really feel it vibrating when I play it). Maybe it was hand picked for the Rossington-Murphy run? The top is two-piece flat sawn maple with flowing grain very similar to the 1958 Les Paul pictured on pages 16 & 17 of the BOTB book. In my opinion..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Anyone else keeping their Rossington's stock? Here's a photo.
Rossinton_LP2001.jpg

And another closeup photo of the flowing flatsawn grain.
Rossinton_LP005.jpg
This Les Paul leaves me speechless , all I can say is killer !!!