• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Holy Sh*t! The $650 MF Les Paul Jr. rocks! (Pics)

mikeyrsmith

I just came up from my basement band room after spending the past 3 hours with my new Gibson Les Paul Jr.

Gotta admit...my expectations were low. And opening the shipping box and seeing MINIMAL packing materials--just a cardboard sleeve for the neck area, some bubble wrap, and a gig bag--didn't do much for my confidence in the product itself. But damn! This thing (so far) kicks ass!

Pics first, and then a quick review (sorry if they're too big!):

LP-JR1.JPG

LP-JR2.JPG

LP-JR3.JPG

LP-JR4.JPG

LP-JR5.JPG

LP-JR6.JPG

LP-JR7.JPG

After I tuned it up, I went over it with everything but a magnifying glass, and as near as I can tell, it's flawless--not a mark on it. Nice fretwork with no sharp ends or filler visible; a dark(ish) and clearly well-conditioned fret board; no loose hardware; tuners properly aligned; nut cut slightly high (the way I like it!) but the slots themselves are clean and in the right place; multi-piece body but the grain is very tightly matched--you really need to look closely for the seams; medium chunky neck (definitely not a skinny one); intonation was damn near spot-on right out of the box (pretty amazing for a compensated/wrap tailpiece); and the action was on the high side but perfect for my heavy handed style. It's loud and resonant unplugged (even my wife could tell that much!). And the P-90 growls like a P-90 should through my '77 Marshall, and cleans up nicely when the volume is rolled back.

For $650, this thing is a total winner in my book. I've never owned a vintage Jr., which I'm sure is a different animal entirely. But I'm not sure how a current Custom Shop model could beat this thing on looks and functionality, especially at this price point!

Rock on!

Best,

Mikey

manilaboy1vic

thats pretty cool.. do they make something similar to that but with 2 p90s, or is there just the LP faded DC.?

i want a an LP with p90s or an SG with p90s..

moonweasel

Just the faded one, BUT there is an SG Classic out now with 2 P-90s and a glossy finish.

Kick ass junior!

mikeyrsmith

manilaboy1vic said:
thats pretty cool.. do they make something similar to that but with 2 p90s, or is there just the LP faded DC.?

i want a an LP with p90s or an SG with p90s..

Right. As far as I know, Gibson's only current production dual P-90 guitars are the faded DCs and the SG Classics. I have one of the faded yellow LP DCs and they're great guitars for the money. The thin, satin finish and faux aging aren't for everyone, but they do sound really good.

mikeyrsmith

I'm not sure what to call the neck on this one, but it's definitely not as "slim" as the neck my '03 LP Classic or '80 Les Paul Custom.

Pete Garland

Man that's a sharp gitfiddle:dude

Been wanting one meself but I wish they would stagger the bridge like on the originals.

mikeyrsmith

Pete Garland said:
Been wanting one meself but I wish they would stagger the bridge like on the originals.

Agreed. But that's nothing that a drill and a little wood putty can't make happen! :bonk

But seriously...I read somewhere that the horizontal bridge has its own unique advantages. Not sure what they are or if they genuinely exist... but for roughly 1/5th the price of some vintage Jrs., I can live with it!

rbisherw

Very nice.
For all the shit that Gibson takes, they can still build a good fiddle now and then.

manilaboy1vic

mikeyrsmith said:
Right. As far as I know, Gibson's only current production dual P-90 guitars are the faded DCs and the SG Classics. I have one of the faded yellow LP DCs and they're great guitars for the money. The thin, satin finish and faux aging aren't for everyone, but they do sound really good.

that junior has a cool finish, its hot :ahem

Jim Barth

What color are the backs on these?

Black or the original see through brown?

D'Mule

Looks perfect. I like the fingerboard color and finish!

59Vampire

Would it be possible to install a neck pickup on these? Then we are talkin!

mikeyrsmith

59Vampire said:
Would it be possible to install a neck pickup on these? Then we are talkin!

Yeah, probably. But by the time you routed it, got rid of or modified the pickguard, installed the neck p-up, and wired it for a switch, etc., etc., it would probably be a lot easier and cheaper (in terms of current production guitars) to just buy a faded double-cut, LP Classic double-cut (P-90s), or an SG Classic. The appeal of the Jr. for me is the 1 pick-up/no screwing around simplicity: plug it in, turn it up, make some f*cking noise!!!! Yeah!

Troy T. Blues

I have a 2001 Junior that looks just like yours. I think they were discontinued in 2002 or so..I am glad they are being produced again. Jr's totally ROCK!!! Simplicity at it's best and I absolutely love mine. Congrats Mikey!

mikeyrsmith

Troy T. Blues said:
I have a 2001 Junior that looks just like yours. I think they were discontinued in 2002 or so..I am glad they are being produced again. Jr's totally ROCK!!! Simplicity at it's best and I absolutely love mine. Congrats Mikey!

Hey, thanks. For what it's worth, my "brand new" Jr. has an '03 serial number.

Troy T. Blues

mikeyrsmith said:
Hey, thanks. For what it's worth, my "brand new" Jr. has an '03 serial number.

LOL - Hmm...that's interesting. I just looked on the Gibson website:

Gibson USA models discontinued for 2002
2001 Paul Standard
Les Paul Standard Plus
Les Paul Deluxe
Les Paul Smartwood Exotics
Les Paul Classic Premium Plus
Les Paul Junior
Les Paul Junior Special - Humbuckers
Gary Moore Signature Les Paul
SG/Les Paul with the Gibson Lyre deluxe vibrola
SG Supreme Humbuckers Original Finishes