• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Anatomy of a 56 Goldtop....

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
3389_p44418.jpg

3389_p44419.jpg

3389_p44420.jpg

Last edited:

Matt58

All Access/Backstage Pass
Cool CD! Check out how the switch nut is not deeply knurled like on a lot of 50's pauls.

bluesforstevie

Charlie,

Great shots!

When in the history of Les Pauls does the dot over the "i" in the Gibson logo go up to the top of the "b"?

MikeSlub

Administrator
Charlie, you've done it again! :bug

Very cool :photos

Thanks! :dude

Rev.WillieVK

Matt58 said:
Cool CD! Check out how the switch nut is not deeply knurled like on a lot of 50's pauls.

That's the earlier style - I think they switched to the Burst-style coarse-knurled crown nuts in '58.

moonweasel

Dear lord..... Charlie you are the man! That guitar is breathtaking. I love how worn out the open chord positions are on the fingerboard. I think the guitar is acutally in really good shape seeing as how it was played THAT much.

Thanks!

BCR/Greg

Les Paul Forum Member and Host of Guitar Shop
Call me nutty, but that is cooler than most plaintops. To ME!!! (Covers head to avoid TW's swings)

BluesForDan

All Access/Backstage Pass
Man, Charlie, nice work once again. I love how the top carve shows up so well on a goldtop.

I second the sentiment on how good the condition is in respect to the amount of playing that axe has been through. :dude

hoss

The checking looks like the guitar was exposed to acid rain.

Musicman

I'm really liking this new "feature presentation". :salude

Big Jim

Very cool CD;

My 56' is really minty, and only has a couple of the "moon craters" in the finish.

I wonder what causes that particular finish degradation? It is a common phenomenon as we know. Checking/crazing is caused by shrinking/expanding caused by hot/cold temperature changes. Hot smoked filled bar, to freezing cold car, to back home (maybe stayed in the car or band van) and the case left closed or opened quickly. All of the above are real-world scenarios, right?

Does anyone know the real/factual reason for the chicken pox/moon crater effect?

Looks like a tone monster to me!

Congrats!

Big Jim