• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Frampton Signature LP -- whacky specs.

55Custom

Go to this link Gibson put up in 2000, and then click on "Chambered Mahogany Body" to see the chambering.
www.gibsoncustom.com/frampton/callout.html

Now, look at where the neck tenon goes. Short tenon huh?

Also, what's with the maple top? Frampton's original would have been all mahogany, right?

By the way is this the same chambering the cloud 9's have -- plus a few other models?

Last edited:

C-4

The chambered Peter Frampton LP body is almost the same as the LP Supreme. The Cloud Nine chambered body is exactly like the Johnny A model, which is totally hollow but for the point where the studs and pins for the bridge are sunken into the body.

B. Roth

I think it is cool. They already have a '57 Custom Reissue that is historically accurate (well, as close as Gibson is going to get). This guitar is actually unique and worthy of the name "Peter Frampton Signature". It is a nicely customized 3 pickup custom. Some of the other Artist signature guitars look really cool, but they aren't really very customized. To me there is not much point in having a signature guitar that is just an R9 with Grovers and aging. Not that those guitars aren't cool...

sparky

Frampton was heavily involved in the design of that guitar, so any specs you see on it were approved--and probably conceptualized--by him.

also, the Johnny A. and the Cloud 9s are NOT chambered in the same way. the JA is totally hollow, while the Cloud 9 is simply chambered...similar to an Elegant or Frampton.

55Custom

If Frampton was involved with it's design, I wonder why he used specs so different than his vintage LP. Short tenon, maple top -- man that's just plain weird. Maybe Gibson put limitations on what model could be used.
It's basically a regular Custom that's been chambered. I found one last weekend at a local shop and played it accoustically; it's a very resonant guitar.

So I guess this means there no Frampton LP's like the real one with an all mahogany body and slim neck.

Come to think of it.. :hmm ...a Cloud 9 R7 Custom could be converted -- and it would be the only Frampton replica in the world.

blauserk

Cloud 9 chambering

Based on my glimpses in the control cavities in my CR8, this looks about like the Cloud 9 chambering.

body.jpg

sparky

Frampton's original was lost in a plane crash in which lives were also lost...perhaps he didn't want to exactly replicate the guitar because of this. Just speculation on my part...

Magnum

I think he had it built how he wanted. From what I've heard, most companies have a basic platform they would like to use and they let the artist flesh it out. If the artist doesn't like the initial idea he is certainly under no obligation to continue. Many pro players (like Eric Johnson) have a very specific idea of what they want and they work with the design team. Very rarely does a player just let a company slap their name on something. Too much pride at stake.

Also, Frampton is a little dude. Maybe he wanted one that looked the same or close to his original but was more comfortable to him. He ain't 25 years old anymore.

:salude

les strat

Magnum said:
I think he had it built how he wanted. From what I've heard, most companies have a basic platform they would like to use and they let the artist flesh it out. If the artist doesn't like the initial idea he is certainly under no obligation to continue. Many pro players (like Eric Johnson) have a very specific idea of what they want and they work with the design team. Very rarely does a player just let a company slap their name on something. Too much pride at stake.

Also, Frampton is a little dude. Maybe he wanted one that looked the same or close to his original but was more comfortable to him. He ain't 25 years old anymore.

:salude

I think you nailed it.

holygrail

Les Paul Froum Member
bradw said:
Dunlop Straplocks?

I only use Dunlop

As you know it's 50/50 around here . unless you're the 10%
that use the Grolsch locks :bonk :2lol

No matter how old he is , Frampton has chops ! :dude

535faultless

If they would use seasoned wood they wouldn't have to "chamber" them.

What do you mean by "seasoned wood"? There is a lot of myth out there about "seasoned wood" and I think you may be equating one of these myths to what makes wood light in weight.

When wood is seasoned, it does not mean you are drying it out to the point that it looses so much moisture that it becomes light. Wood is hydroscopic and it's always in flux (loosing moisture or gaining moisture) depending on the enviornments relative humidity level.

You can "season" wood for 2 months, 2 years, or 2 centuries and they will always maintian a moisture level based on the relative humidity.

I may be misunderstanding your point, but I'm just trying to understand your definition of "seasoned wood".

Hammertone

Re: Cloud 9 chambering

blauserk said:
Based on my glimpses in the control cavities in my CR8, this looks about like the Cloud 9 chambering.
body.jpg

It's the same except for the long tenon route on the C-9.

This version of the Frampton has the same chambering and tenon routing as the Les Paul Florentine.

The chambering is the same as that on the Elegant, Ultima, Catalina and C-9, but they all have the long tenon routing.