• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Yamaha SG2000

rays44

Purchased new in '78 during my formative "Santana" years.

It's a great guitar that was squarely aimed at competing with Gibson. Construction quality, fit and finish are excellent. Neck through body, ebony board, carved maple top on a laminated mahogany body. Bridge sits on a brass block set into the body (Santana's suggestion) for added sustain. Heavy, but not a boat anchor and has a belly cut in the body for comfort.
The sound has a focused punch and sharp attack not unlike LP Customs from the era. It really plays and sounds like a good Norlin custom with double cut away access to the upper frets.
It is still in my rotation and is currently fitted with Harmonic Design Bridge and Duncan 59 neck p/u's.

brandtkronholm

How do these compare with the Ibanez Artist of the same era?

I've coveted a late 70s Ibanez Artist or Yamaha SG2000 from the moment I saw them - but I found the necks to uncomfortable. Each Ibanez I came across had a thin C neck with sharp shoulders. The Yamaha necks seems even thinner.

CutieJones

Got an Ibanez Artist, AR100 model back in 1979. Never thought I would be able to afford Gibson Les Pauls.
Since then I have gone through a LOT of Gibsons . . . still got the Ibanez .

stevek

I have an 80's SG3000 which is a beast in more ways than one. It weighs so much that bass players say "bloody hell" when they pick it up to take a look.

I also recently picked up an SA-1200S, which is a spruce topped 335 type with an ebony board, also from the early 80's.

Yamaha guitars get little love but I've never played a bad one.

rays44

I've coveted a late 70s Ibanez Artist or Yamaha SG2000 from the moment I saw them - but I found the necks to uncomfortable. Each Ibanez I came across had a thin C neck with sharp shoulders. The Yamaha necks seems even thinner.

Those late '70's guitars were great sounding instruments. My SG2000 has a very comfortable "C" shape neck of medium profile. Not thin at all.
I think they are comparable in workmanship (very good). I think the Artist had active electronics and/or switches for series/parallel, phase, etc. The Yamaha was straight forward although I added a push pot for coil splitting the bridge.

rays44

I have an 80's SG3000 which is a beast in more ways than one. It weighs so much that bass players say "bloody hell" when they pick it up to take a look.

I also recently picked up an SA-1200S, which is a spruce topped 335 type with an ebony board, also from the early 80's.

Yamaha guitars get little love but I've never played a bad one.

The SG3000 is a beauty with the shell inlays. I came up in the '70's and never had a problem with weight. My SG 2000 is not nearly as heavy as some LP's from the same era. I find the belly cut helps a lot too. The 335 styled "SA" guitars were also very nice.

Flogger

I was selling both when new, and I've always had a soft spot for the Yammies, they seemed to go a little further to get a nice instrument. I've liked the Musicians and Artists that I've played, but I prefer the feel and sound of an SG/SGB.

Dave P

I recently sold my SBG1000, I probably should have kept it as it was really lightweight. Oh well, I have other Yamahas. :)

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
After buy and selling about a dozen of these here are the 3 I ended up with. first one is a late '70's Japan market SG1500, neck thru but it looks like the neck is maple with a mahogany center strip, opposite of what most neck thru's are. Second is a late '70's SG3000. This guitar is a monster, all original, fat neck, great, great pickups. Last is an early '80's SBG2100. the only difference I can see from a 2000 is the bridge and tailpiece are closer together like the 3000 and the bridge is the narrower design like the 3000. And it's got a birdseye top and more subtle burst than others I've seen. Pickups are swapped out for Duncans. All guitars have push/push coil taps on both tones. Totally enjoy playing these things.

3%20yamahas.jpg

3%20yamahas2.jpg

rays44

After buy and selling about a dozen of these here are the 3 I ended up with. first one is a late '70's Japan market SG1500, neck thru but it looks like the neck is maple with a mahogany center strip, opposite of what most neck thru's are. Second is a late '70's SG3000. This guitar is a monster, all original, fat neck, great, great pickups. Last is an early '80's SBG2100. the only difference I can see from a 2000 is the bridge and tailpiece are closer together like the 3000 and the bridge is the narrower design like the 3000. And it's got a birdseye top and more subtle burst than others I've seen. Pickups are swapped out for Duncans. All guitars have push/push coil taps on both tones. Totally enjoy playing these things.

3%20yamahas.jpg

3%20yamahas2.jpg

Those are some nice looking guitars Mark:dude: Wish those long shaft push/push pots were still available.
Though not similar at all in construction, these guitars are like SG's on LP steroids. :salude