• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

best case for a firebird?

becks bolero

hey who makes the best case for a firebird?

I heard the stock ones don't have enough clearance around the headstock & it can break fairly easily?

thx!

MikeSlub

Administrator
The old brown Gibson USA Firebird cases are good. A few dealers may have some in stock, otherwise eBay. :2zone

bizzwriter

Six months ago I bought a new Gibson USA Firebird case on ebay -- it has PLENTY of clearance for the banjo tuners. The case is HUGE and HEAVY. The case that comes along with the Firebird in this auction is exactly like the one I bought (I got it for under $100 shipped). It's black with a nubbly covering

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-GIBSON...E-/190807666845?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c6d05f09d

$T2eC16ZHJHEE9ny2sY0KBRNov3U(Zw~~60_57.JPG

bizzwriter

Some of the differences between the brown and black reissue Firebird cases was discussed in this thread on the other forum:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-gibsons/227281-ngd-65-firebird-2.html

Post #36 contains some pictures that I posted to demonstrate those differences.

Hmmm...your photos got me curious about exactly how much clearance I have in my recent black reissue Firebird case. I just took a couple of closeups of my Firebird I headstock in the case. The first photo shows the clearance from the tuners to the bottom of the case. In the second photo, I placed a '70s vintage Coricidin bottle in the gap, with the high E tuner resting very lightly on it (if I tilt the case, the bottle rolls out).

I wonder if the black cases with the white fuzzy interior like mine have more clearance than the black cases with the grey interior?

IMG_1052_zps872d659d.jpg

IMG_1053_zpsd25177a0.jpg

Brown Recluse

Hmmm...your photos got me curious about exactly how much clearance I have in my recent black reissue Firebird case. I just took a couple of closeups of my Firebird I headstock in the case. The first photo shows the clearance from the tuners to the bottom of the case. In the second photo, I placed a '70s vintage Coricidin bottle in the gap, with the high E tuner resting very lightly on it (if I tilt the case, the bottle rolls out).

I wonder if the black cases with the white fuzzy interior like mine have more clearance than the black cases with the grey interior?

IMG_1052_zps872d659d.jpg

IMG_1053_zpsd25177a0.jpg

Your case definitely has more clearance than my black case with the grey interior. That is definitely a good, and probably more readily available, alternative to the older brown reissue cases with the pink bordello lining.

burstman59

The newer black case with ugly white lining probably is safer for the birds headstock but like some of you already mentioned the older USA brown/w pink lining arent bad either. I just hate the white lining in the newer Gibson USA cases. what were they thinking. Blue or gray or anything would look better imo. Anyway I really like the Custom Shop Firebird cases they offered for a while like the ones shipped with the CS Explorers. Had the dark plush velvety maroon interior. Too bad these are hard to get. They come up on Ebay once in a while though.