• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Gibson Baked Maple Fingerboard Guide

DoubleBoogie

Glad to know that you can oil those things up and darken them considerably. :dude: I just can't handle the real light board colors. I thought their comparison conclusions relative to tone were pretty much bogus though as you have that same kind of tonal variation on all rosewood equipped Les Pauls (plus you can't really expect to compare a chambered to a non-chambered). Their comments relative to feel were more valuable. The thought of a maple board Les Paul is pretty cool and we may just be seeing the future way that this guitar is made if the US government doesn't get its head out of its ass. What I would really love to see is what would be the effect of doing the construction with the right truss rod and all hide glue and using a dark baked maple board. :hmm

Last edited:

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
I'm sorry... but IMHO this is like offering dry humping as an alternative to intercourse. I would have never expected this from a company with a heritage like Gibson. maybe the world IS ending Dec. 21st...

Callaway

I for one am not totally opposed to using maple as a choice I've had maple on several Fenders for years and much prefer it to their rosewood boards. What would be nice is to have it available as an option not force fed, most players with some years don't need to be bum rushed about what maple is like or it's virtues. I know little or nothing about the obeche they are using but from early reports I've read it has similar characteristics to ebony. Change sucks but it's here you can either roll with it or might sometime come down to switching brands or going imported I certainly hope not. I'm sure my age demographics are not a group targeted by Gibby so it's a moot point anyway. Unless there is a change in Federal laws or at least a clarification it might be rosewood and ebony are well be past the average peoples purchase price point for new gear. Either way if given a choice both woods are preferable to the faux wood composites they are ushering in on some of the newer releases.

Bluuzman

:2cool Some statements of Music Man regarding baked/roasted maple necks (http://www.music-man.com/news/product-announcements/roasted-maple-necks.html):

"- Adds dimensional stability and resistance to temperature and humidity changes.

- Increases resistance to warping.

- Reduces density while maintaining stiffness for a lighter neck with sufficient strength.

- Yields a microstructure similar to naturally aged woods with lower moisture content.

- More resonance and less damping.

- Eliminates the need for hazardous chemical treatments.

- Vibrational testing indicates that roasted maple exhibits clearer tone with a stronger fundamental than untreated maple samples."

Eggy

I don't want to sound like an Asshat here but I'm not impressed with this whole carry on.
How come Epiphones, Ibanez, LTD, Schecter etc can have Indian Rosewood boards on but not the new Gibson?

hoss

How come Epiphones, Ibanez, LTD, Schecter etc can have Indian Rosewood boards on but not the new Gibson?
Because the other brands are made in Asia and not in the USA.
However, Fender still puts Rosewood on their US made guitars and they are shipping shit loads, way more than Gibson.
So is this just a "now you see what happened" reaction by Gibson to the FBI raid?

BTW, I love the idea behind baked maple. Many smaller elite shops have used it for some time because of it's features.
Of course, it's not historically correct on a Les Paul. Only Brazilian is, over a correct truss rod w/o condom.

My point: If you want the real thing, buy vintage or at a luthier like Florian, Max or Johan. Or deal with it and buy whatever Gibson puts out.

DoubleBoogie

I'm intrigued by it as well Bluuzman. While I love my traditional construction Les Pauls, I also embrace the idea of experimentation. Who knows, this entire concept of "baked maple" might get applied to the mahogany as well. Who knows what the results will be like??..maybe good..maybe not so good. While this change at Gibson is more a less a change of necessity, history is filled with examples of changes that "accidentally" resulted in improvements. Not saying this is one of course, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long term.

The Boz 56

I say screw our government for messing with a manufacturer who has been making a great American product for so many years. Its disgusting.

darkwave

Another factor may be that many of those guitars don't actually use "Indian Rosewood" at all. I was wondering why the texture of the fretboard on an Epi I was working on seemed different than my own guitars and a luthier I knew who set up production for a few factories in the far east told me it was actually a widely used Asian wood which resembles Indian Rosewood. I don't think Sonokelin is the name he used, but it may have been. The fact that a pamphlet states they use a material unfortunately doesn't mean much in practice...

-Douglas C.

I don't want to sound like an Asshat here but I'm not impressed with this whole carry on.

LPCollector

I agree with your statement but let's change it so everyone doesn't tear it apart anymore.

"How come PRS, Martin, Carvin, Fender, Ovation, Gretch, Parker, Peavey, Rickenbacker, Etc.......don't seem to have a problem with obtaining either of the type of rosewood used for a LP fret board?"
....better?

Last edited:

Todd Louis

I'm sorry... but IMHO this is like offering dry humping as an alternative to intercourse. I would have never expected this from a company with a heritage like Gibson. maybe the world IS ending Dec. 21st...
++++++1
Thats just.... I have no words....

Todd Louis

And If they EVA Put that CRAP on a Historc.

I will NEVA BUY ANOTHER GIBSON AGAIN!!!
or sell any of the ones I have....

CoolJoMark

hey maybe they will release a limited edition historic with brazilian baked maple! which we all know is so much better than hard rock maple....:rofl

Flying Fish

It makes my skin crawl, though I've never seen one in person or played one.

Hypothetical question:

What if a new les paul w/ one of these fretboards, or some other major deviation from vintage accuracy, made it closer to the sound and playing experience of a burst, etc? What's more important the sound and dynamic response of the instrument or historical accuracy, or some combination of both?

Just curious.

TM1

It makes my skin crawl, though I've never seen one in person or played one.

Hypothetical question:

What if a new les paul w/ one of these fretboards, or some other major deviation from vintage accuracy, made it closer to the sound and playing experience of a burst, etc? What's more important the sound and dynamic response of the instrument or historical accuracy, or some combination of both?

Just curious.

Tap on a Brazilian Rosewood board and then tap on a Maple board. Then tell me which one rings better.
I'm betting it's the Rosewood. Even if it's Indian or Madagascar..

The Boz 56

Hey what if the baked maple thing is a failed experiment like the Moderne and they only make a few batches. Will they be the next collectible hahahaha JK